Csn't run windows update w/ sp3.

MarkJohnson

I just installed XP Home 32-bit SP3 on my computer so I could install my TV card (not compatible with Vista or 7) and windows update says it won't run unless I have SP3 installed. Not sure why I get this error as I have the SP3 version of XP Home and as far as I know, there is no SP4.

Error message:

You may be unable to access the Windows Update website from Windows XP, Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 if those versions of Windows are not updated to the latest Service Pack

Here's a link to the error:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2497281

I turned on auto-update, but still get the error after all updates are installed.

Any clues what's going on?

-=Mark=-

I registered to say thank you to -X-. A PC I'm fixing did the same thing as the OP -- I had SP3 installed, but it says I have to have latest SP installed before using Windows Update lol. Installing that quick .exe from -X- fixed it immediately. Again, thanks for the help.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

fwiw, the updater didn't solve my problem completely on either a slipstreamed SP3 and SP2 media. I had to update the Windows Installer to 4.5 as well.

Windows Installer 4.5 seems to be a prerequisite for recently made programs out there. you may also want to install the Windows Installer 4.5 KB981669 update to fix some application compatibility problems with MSI 4.5.

• 3 months later...

fwiw, the updater didn't solve my problem completely on either a slipstreamed SP3 and SP2 media. I had to update the Windows Installer to 4.5 as well.

After searching all day for a solution, installing the update agent, and registering the update .dlls, I had just about given up. I found your suggestion and installed the Windows Installer 4.5. It worked for me. Thanks!!