Retro Gamer's thread for older OS's

I've been wondering what games are still available either commercial or free that you will be able to download or purchase on Ebay for a buck and play some games/mods. I also would like to make a database for old games that are compatible for older versions of Windows. I do not have some of these games, but if someone would like to contribute to testing gameplay of some of these games and/or adding games and what OS's they run on natively, it'd be appreciated. :)

9x = Windows 95/98/ME

9xkex = Windows 98/ME with KernelEx (KernelEx for Windows 98/Me can be found here: )

NT4 = Windows NT 4

2k = Windows 2000

2kkex = Windows 2000 with KernelEx (KernelEx for Windows 2000 can be found here: )

all = All Windows Versions regardless of KernelEx versions

TBD = To Be Determined

UN = Untested

-----------------------------------------

3D Ultra Pinball The Fastest Pinball in Space 9x

Diablo 9x UN

Duke Nukem 3D 9x UN

GTA III 9x UN

Half-Life Steamless TBD

Half-Life Steam 2k

Heroes of Might and Magic 9x UN

Heroes of Might and Magic II 9x UN

I'm Going In 9x UN

Max Payne 9x UN

GL Quakeworld 9x

Quake 9x UN

QuakeWorld 9x (Windows 95 only)

Quake 2 Demo NT4

Quake 3 9x UN

Return to Castle Wolfenstein 9x UN

Team Fortress Classic TBD

These are games that are either tested or untested that can be identified with the "UN" tag next to it. "TBD" basically means that I do not have the game to test it nor does anybody else who contributes to this list has tested it recently.

Edited by NothingMuchHereToSay

I usually see a lot of older games at thrift and second-hand stores. I usually don't buy them most of the time. Those stores don't usually pay enough attention to the fact that they are games (unless they are in the original box) and are "hidden" away in the music CDs. You should check that idea out.

As far as NT4, I know you can play the Quake II demo on it... :whistle:

Added Quake 2 Demo to the list, NT4 works perfectly, once I find the time, I shall test out 95/98.

Quake II works on Win98. As does Return to Castle Wolfenstein, I'm Going In, Quake 3, Quake, Max Payne, GTA III, Heroes of Might and Magic and Heroes of Might and Magic II. Diablo.

I'll try to remember what else I had on my Win98 PC.