Audit Mode Question

Hey all

I have what I hope are a couple of easy questions to answer.

When creating my image, I'm booting into Audit Mode so that I can install exe/msi drivers etc. Most will require a restart, and obviously I've like to verify all have installed correctly before generalizing the image.

I haven't tried this yet, but I'm assuming that restarting in audit mode will cause the machine to enter OOBE.

• So, first question is: if I need to restart in audit mode (several times if necessary) do I simply need to do a sysprep /audit /reboot each time?
  • Secondly, on the RunSynchronous commands in WSIM there's the WillReboot option. Similar to my first question, does this restart back into audit mode, so that subsequent installs can complete correctly?

Probably really stupid questions (I did spend time searching before asking), but I'd really appreciate advice from you guys.

Thanks in advance.

I think you will automatically reboot into audit mode until you generalize.

also I think installed drivers (those you installed yourself) will not carry on into the image, but I am not sure about that.

I think you will automatically reboot into audit mode until you generalize.

just tested and yes, you're right. Thanks!

also I think installed drivers (those you installed yourself) will not carry on into the image, but I am not sure about that.

Lol I hope not, or what's the point of audit mode? Will test and see.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Edited by epoch

Windows will stay in Audit Mode until you use the sysprep box to change what mode to boot into. It has nothing to do with generalize.

Audit Mode is where you install programs to be used in the final image. Drivers will be saved into the image, however after a generalize is done, they are removed from being "installed" but they still stay in the repository as long as they are signed. It is recommended that you either inject the drivers into the image OR use Driver Staging.

Ok, so ...

I got the test machine looking lovely in audit mode. The drivers were all installed correctly (manually). Other apps too. Got the user profile set up as required too (wallpaper, colour scheme etc etc).

I added an unattend.xml with the CopyProfile command. I then ran sysprep /oobe /generalize /shutdown /unattend:<path to xml>

Sysprep did its thing and shut down. Upon restarting, the machine went through the OOBE welcome as expected. However, upon logging in as the new user it was not as expected!

Several drivers (e.g. display) were not installed (screen was 800x600). Other ones did seem to be there, such as sound, smartcard reader etc. The default user customisation did work though, which was good.

So I guess I need to read up on other methods of getting drivers into the build. Most of the Lenovo drivers are .exe based. Everything I'd previously read said installing apps and drivers in audit mode was the way to do it (unless they were inf based).

Thoroughly confused, but keen to learn!

Edited by epoch

Run one of these two commands to see what drivers are currently installed

pnputil -e

or

dism /online /get-drivers

Tip: You can install the drivers like you normally do with the EXE but if you want the drivers to integrate later you grab them from %WinDir%\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository (sort by date your drivers should move to the top)

Check the AIK/OPK link in my signature, I have a couple vids on updates/driver integration

Edited by ricktendo64

Yeah, don't bother setting visual styles in Audit Mode. You need to set those with an answer file. Anything done in Audit Mode (try installing Google Chrome for example) is done to the Administrator account. That account gets disabled when you sysprep, although technically it becomes partially disabled within minutes of logon to Audit Mode. So those visual settings get saved to that account only!

And yes, Windows is going to pull those drivers out when you sysprep if they do not meet certain conditions. As I said, to get around this, you need to inject them into the image with DISM before deployment to Audit Mode. Then they won't be removed.

Hi

Given that the image I'm working on is targetted to a unique hardware model (they're all identical) I've tried the PersistAllDeviceInstalls option in the PnpSysprep component (generalize pass).

That seems to be keeping all the drivers etc, although I haven't fully tested yet.

I'll take a look at injecting & staging drivers later, but if this setting does what I need - in this instance - then that should do for now.

It does seem the more I delve into this the more questions arise! Renaming and keeping local admin account enabled is my next task.

Enjoying the learning curve. It's a far cry from XP!