Booting Windows 98 SE on modern PC takes 30 minutes

xan1242

Sorry xan1242 , but you have not looked my topic on this site and because of wrong chipset you must choose between rloew option or selling your MBO and buying AS ROCK AM2NF3-VSTA which is without question BEST modern MBO with official support for Windows 98 SE and if I do not make mistake ONLY MBO with Windows 98 SE official drivers for AM3 processors (in your case:ADX250OCK23GQ processor)

I did look there before I posted,but I thought it was something else than incompatibility when I started this thread (I even said that I saw somewhere in this forum and yes,that thread was on my mind).I thought it was a chipset issue,not a SATA driver issue.

I made a 4GB partition with Partition Magic in Fat32,copied the startup files from startup disk (sys A: C:) and copied installation files and then installed it.That's my usual procedure of installing Windows 98 on any computer,so I do not think that MS-DOS compatibility mode will be any use to me.How do you stop the USB port from being stolen by Windows 98?

Edited by xan1242

Rename the USB WDM drivers from "*.sys" to, say, "*.off". That should be enough. But it's much easier to just rename ESDI_506.PDR and let the machine use DOS compatibility mode. It may be faster than the way ESDI_506.PDR is getting along your chipset, right now. Do try it, you don't have much to loose by doing it (unless you're really short of time, of course).

Rename the USB WDM drivers from "*.sys" to,say, "*.off". That should be enough. But it's much easier to just rename ESDI_506.PDR and let the machine use DOS compatibility mode. It may be faster than the way ESDI_506.PDR is getting along your chipset, right now. Do try it, you don't have much to loose by doing it (unless you're really short of time, of course).

I'm on it right now.What should be ESDI_506.PDR renamed to anyways?I am going to install it on my main computer (that is,the computer I am typing this post on),so I do not know yet.

Your main computer is another machine, so that nothing discussed here applies. Do it on the same machine we were talking about till now, or don't do it at all. You've got me interested in a difficult case, that I'm sufficiently acquainted with to have suggestions to propose. If you now just change the machine I, for one, will loose all interest in the matter. I'm sorry.

The putpose of renaming ESDI_506.PDR is to prevent it from loading (you'll probably get a "not found" message, of course, but that's nothing unexpected). So rename it to any nonsense extension, like, for instance ESDI_506.OFF.

I'm almost never really mad at you all. But if you want to go off-topic, and it won't be obviously off-topic, do say so.

I understood that you meant you were giving up the machine we've discussed till now, and moving on to another one, not that you intended to do it in addition to that one. So I gave you a reality check. No anger whatever included. But if I misunderstood you, my apologies. Now, since you're doing a tricky installation, do your best to do it while you've got another machine to come to MSFN. If you'll have to reboot each time you want to read or post it'll become too much of a PITA (for you, of course), so do your best to avoid it.

I know what's PITA,and it isn't a good felling.Biggest PITA I've ever had was when I was fixing my synth.Restarting each time isn't all too big PITA for me.

I do have another machine,but my brother is going to take it away and give it to his girlfriend. (Otherwise,I wouldn't even bother installing Windows 98 on my computer)

*ontopic*

Well,that didn't seem to help.As soon I saw the bar at bottom of the boot screen got choppy,I knew it was gonna take a too long time to boot.I'll measure time now and I'll see if MS-DOS compatibility cut some time (I am installing on a USB stick).I really wish I could find a workaround for free.

BTW,will Windows 98 SE work on a (Dell) laptop with Intel Core i5 and 4GB ram and Intel 6 Series chipset?

Edited by xan1242

My guess is not well. You won't have motherboard drivers just as well. What we do know is in the compatible hardware pinned post. What's not there... well, your guess is as good as mine. In any case, on multicore processors just one core will be used.

Booting Windows 98 from a USB Drive requires special handling, otherwise the USB Driver steals the Drive from the System and it crashes.
You have to prevent the USB drivers from being installed, at least for the Port you are booting from.

I have USB keys with bootable Windows 98, 98SE and ME on them.

@RLoew: Preventing the installation of the USB stack altogether I know how, but how can you prevent the instalation of the USB drivers for just a single port?

Booting Windows 98 from a USB Drive requires special handling, otherwise the USB Driver steals the Drive from the System and it crashes.
You have to prevent the USB drivers from being installed, at least for the Port you are booting from.

I have USB keys with bootable Windows 98, 98SE and ME on them.

@RLoew: Preventing the installation of the USB stack altogether I know how, but how can you prevent the instalation of the USB drivers for just a single port?

I never experimented with selective USB blocking on my USB based Systems.

I did some experimenting to block USB Keyboard drivers. I don't think you can block a single port. i think you may have to block at least two, maybe four.

I had to block two Root Hubs to stop Windows from taking over my Keyboard.

If you want to experiment, install Windows to a USB Drive (a USB hard drive would be faster) until it crashes, reboot in Safe Mode and disable all USB Drivers, reboot and repeat the procedure until all USB Drivers have been loaded and disabled. You can then try turning them back on one at a time and rebooting. Use Safe Mode to recover when it fails.

If you want to experiment, install Windows to a USB Drive (a USB hard drive would be faster) until it crashes, reboot in Safe Mode and disable all USB Drivers, reboot and repeat the procedure until all USB Drivers have been loaded and disabled. You can then try turning them back on one at a time and rebooting. Use Safe Mode to recover when it fails.

Wonderful! :w00t:

By doing it in that way, one prevents Windows from taking over the USB port one's booted from (and its sibling, since there's a pair to a hub), but retains hot swapping and safe removal in the other ports... Wow!

What a clever way to work around 9x/ME's limitations! worship.gif

Thanks! You do rock! :thumbup