Install Win XP and Office 2003 Problem - SOLVED!

Ok. That's exactly what I was thinking. I also noticed that the Last Session.ini and Last Session_U.ini and Autorun.inf as well as the Batch.cmd do not get copied to the USB. I have manually moved the batch.cmd to the USB but not the others. Would this make a difference?

Seems I need a way (possibly different way) to call the batch.cmd??

Just use this batch:

echo Source %Source% set temp

set System

PAUSE

echo Source %Source% > %temp%\source.log

echo Source %Source% > %SystemDrive%\source.log

echo Source %Source% > %SystemRoot%\source.log

jaclaz - I didn't do the above since it doesn't appear that the Batch.cmd is even being called. I wanted to verify before using your batch where would the logs be produced. Does this happen before the windows install or after?

Thanks

Edited by Mobes

What are contents of $OEM$ folder? Is there another batch file? What are its contents?

What are contents of GUIRunOnce section in winnt.sif? You may even post the entire winnt.sif hiding any sensitive information in it.

Last Session.ini, Last Session_U.ini and autorun.inf do not matter, the problem if my guess is correct is one of the USB_multiboot limitations- contents of $OEM$ folder are not copied and thus cannot be used, thus the command in GUIRunOnce if it's in $OEM$ folder.

What are contents of $OEM$ folder? Is there another batch file? What are its contents?

What are contents of GUIRunOnce section in winnt.sif? You may even post the entire winnt.sif hiding any sensitive information in it.

See attached for $OEM$. It is my Office files. I only have the one batch.cmd. I'm also attaching the

Ilko_t, I'm not sure how to "view" the contents of the winnt.sif. I found a winnt.sif in the %WIN_NT%.~LS folder and one in the $WIN_NT$.~BT folder. What I don't understand is since the Runonce is in nLite, is that command copied to a folder that is then copied to the USB?? It seems that's what I'm missing, because when Windows installs nothing happens. There is no sign that a batch command is initiated.

Wish I could tell you the contents of the GuiRunOnce???

post-319158-0-52751200-1305516321_thumb.

Edited by Mobes

Open up winnt.sif in ~BT folder. Remove any sensitive information such as serial number, IP addresses etc. Attach it with your next post. Zip it or rename if need to.

FYI:

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/19/

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/18/

http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/81/

Thanks for the quick reply ilko. I didn't think you were still on. I'll review your links. I hope they help me to open the winnt.sif. I was just reviewing on line as well.

Ok. I feel pretty dumb. Didn't realize just need to rename to .txt in order to open!

BTW, thanks for the links. This looks like great info that I need to read!yes.gif

winnt.txt

Edited by Mobes

Which drive letter matches your USB stick after XP install?

Does exist file \$WIN_NT$.~LS\$OEM$\office2003\SETUPPRO.exe at USB stick?

Create a Read.cmd.

for /f "tokens=3" %%i IN ('reg query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup /v "SourcePath" ^| findstr "REG_SZ"') do set SOURCE=%%i
echo Source %Source%
(echo Source %Source% & echo.)> "%temp%\source.log"
reg query HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup /v "SourcePath" >> "%temp%\source.log"
notepad.exe "%temp%\source.log"
pause

Boot previous installed XP, run read.cmd and post source.log content.

cdob-

Does exist file \$WIN_NT$.~LS\$OEM$\office2003\SETUPPRO.exe at USB stick?

Yes.

Which drive letter matches your USB stick after XP install?

Was set to U when using USB Multiboot.

post-319158-0-46055700-1305575322_thumb.

Was set to U when using USB Multiboot.

Pictuere refers to I: now, that's not U:.

What's drive letter I: ? Does this refers to XP installation with USB Multiboot?

Try nlite.cmd

dir  U:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\$OEM$\office2003 >"%temp%\source.log"

start /wait U:\$WIN_NT$.~LS\$OEM$\office2003\SETUPPRO.exe TRANSFORMS=unattended.mst /qn
shutdown -r -t 70 -c "Restarting in..." -f
EXIT

Start again, install XP from USB Multiboot.

Which drive letter goes to USB stick finally?

Does exist a file source.log at hard disk? Post contents.

There is no need to attach a picture, copy and paste text from source.log.

I saw that too. I'm actually using USB Multiboot again. I know one of the last steps, it gives you the option to set the USB as U: and I believe it's preferred to do that.

Also, does it matter where batch.cmd is on the USB? It does not get copied. I copy/paste the command to the USB. I didn't know if it made any difference where this is located on the USB??

I am almost 100% the USB was U: the last time I installed Windows. I will run install again and look for a Source.log at C:

@cdob

I replaced my batch.cmd with the nlite.cmd. I did not get a source.log. The USB is at the U:.

I changed my batch.cmd to nlite.cmd. But, shouldn't I have kept the batch.cmd name??

I also changed the nlite.cmd back to batch.cmd and did find a source.log. I manually ran the batch.cmd and it does install Office....

I'm just not able to kick off the Batch.cmd??

I replaced my batch.cmd with the nlite.cmd. I did not get a source.log.

Don't do this. Delete batch.cmd.

Edit nlite.cmd, copy and paste previous code from post #26.

The USB is at the U:.
That's nice.
did find a source.log
Open the file, copy, paste and post the contents. Edited by cdob