Broadcom NetExtreme driver prevents 98 system shutdown

Sfor

I'm trying to install a Windows 98 on a HP/Compaq d530 with Asus P4SD motherboard. The biggest nuisance is the integrated Broadcom NetExtreme ethernet controller, so far.

ACPI works well, without the Broadcom NetExtreme driver runnig. The system is shuting down and rebooting smoothly. After installing the Broadcom driver, the Windows 98 system freezes during shutdown or reeboot. I'm out of ideas, for the moment.

I've tried the APM mode, already. For some reason the PNP Bios does not work, in such a case. The ethernet adapter along with many other devices are not detected at all. So, the APM mode seems to be useless.

Well. The problem is more complicated, apparently.

I found three different causes of the shutdown/reboot problems.

- the integrated Broadcom Ethernet Controller. (not installing drivers or disabling in BIOS solves the problem)

- USB controllers. (disabling BIOS legacy and IRQ support solves the problem)

- integrated Intel 865G controller (After installing Intel driver the computer fails to reboot - replaced with other AGP card solved the problem)

In the end, I just lost one PCI slot and BIOS legacy USB support. I think I can live with it.

Edited by Sfor

HP/Compaq
Just butting in, but there's your problem. Some BIOS' just don't allow much in the way of "control" (especially the aforementioned). Had to yank/replace a Modem in my "new" box for that same reason (refused to play nice with the other IRQ's/Memory's). Some PnP BIOS' insist on conflicting with "add-ins" that are unrecognized (thus ignored) at Boot-up. The Modem in question worked fine after driver install, but as soon as I rebooted it CHANGED! (whoops!)

Ennyhoo, glad to see you found the "workaround".