[Solved] Software to Recover Lost WinME Password?

KenO

Last year I inherited a Compaq Laptop(LP) with P3 cpu, 64MB RAM and WinME and had LogOn Password(LOP). At that time I tried the LP and every thing was OK but forgot to either change the LOP or eliminate it.

A few days ago I was finally able to start playing with it (would like to use for portable Word Processing) but could not find the original LOP. Checked with the original owner but they did not remember either.

Before getting upset decided to check if the RAM and Hard Drive are good. Ran Memtest and some Hard Drive tests and it passed all.

From this I know the LOP is WinME only. DOS boots and runs apps OK.

Did a quick search for DOS Password Recovery Software but did not find anything. Hope may have missed something.

Am interested in any suggestions.

Thanks

Ken

Edited by KenO

If all you need is access to the system in "normal mode" and are not concerned about other stored passwords, Boot to Dos, navigate to the Windows folder, then delete or rename all files with the extension ".PWL". There's normally one for each user. Reboot, and you'll be able to log in without a password.

Rick

Edited by herbalist

Thanks everyone for your comments!

"If all you need is access to the system in "normal mode" and are not concerned about other stored passwords, Boot to Dos, navigate to the Windows folder, then delete or rename all files with the extension ".PWL". There's normally one for each user. Reboot, and you'll be able to log in without a password. Rick" Correct. Forgot to mention there was only 1 user.

Question: In Windows I can search for "PWL". My DOS is very poor, so as a DOS beginner how do I do this in DOS?

Remembered I can use WildCard * did quick search and found " For Unix or DOS, you can use the wildcard search in the command line to list all the files with a particular extension. For example, if you want to find all the files that end with .old, in DOS you could enter your search as follows: dir *.old"

http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahsf.html

Just to make sure I am doing this correctly, would I go from C: to C:Windows and in Win dir use "*.pwl" for the search ?

In the above example that I found is the search from C:? In this case would I use at the C: prompt "Windows*.pwl" ? Would be simpler than the way I was taught.

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Ken

The PWL files would be visible from Windows. I'm not sure that you can successfully delete them from Windows safe mode (might be in use). Windows might automatically recreate it too. Not sure if WinME behaves the same as 98 in regards to this. If you have access to safe mode, you can get the full names of all pwl files while you're there.

Unless you have used one of the unofficial patches to enable DOS on WinME, a 98 bootdisk will be needed. They're available from lots of places.

The CD command is for changing directories or folders. It doesn't allow you to navigate to another directory when they're on different drives. If you boot from a floppy, the command prompt will probably be on the "A" drive. Change to the drive containing your Windows folder, probably "C".

Type: cd C:\windows The prompt will now read C:\windows>

Now you have some options. You can back up the .pwl files to another location. The "copy" command does this nicely. To make a copy of it on your desktop (assuming the desktop is C:\windows\desktop)

Type: copy username.pwl C:\windows\desktop

Replace username in the above with the actual name if known or with "*" (without quotes) if it's not.

Original file is backed up. Now you can delete the original.

Type: del username.pwl

Edited by herbalist

Minor correction - when booting from Floppy, you'll be at an "A:\" prompt so after the CD command given, also just key in "C:" to get "fully changed" (the prompt will then read as given). WinME should react the same as Win9x for the procedure. Be aware of one thing - if all PWL files are "gone" (no longer in the Windows folder) and you're using "Client for Microsoft Networks" for "Primary Logon" (in Control Panel->Network), then you'll have an "empty" Logon that I believe you can just "cancel" to be the "Administrator" (strange terminology for a 9x system).

There's usually a DEFAULT.PWL (also similar to Administrator) <-FYI only.

submix8c & herbalist,

Success! Thanks again for all your help!

After my last post was given the suggestion to try a "Live Linux CD" and received an Ubuntu CD to try. Did just that but somewhere in the process it stopped so 2nd tried the Win98 Rescue Boot Floppy. Was able to get to C:Windows and run command del *.pwl and then rebooted but got same login screen so I did something wrong. My 3rd attempt was to try to boot WinME and by some means was able to! Exactly how do not know except the original owner was having problems so had been using selective startup. Believe all I did was to press enter at logon screen and it booted. Previously I had either used the original password or just gave up when did not remember or find the written password.

In WinME used search and found 2 *.pwl files. As submix8c mentioned there was "DEFAULT.PWL" and the specific *.pwl Deleted both and then followed password removal instructions at ehow http://www.ehow.com/how_6802143_remove-windows-password-screen-windows.html

Before rebooting WinME decided to save the Non WinME drivers with Free "Driver Magician Lite" http://www.drivermagician.com/Lite.htm incase I needed to do a "clean WinME install. Forgot to mention that in ~ 11 yrs the original laptop owner lost all the Compaq software CDs. I have a WinME OEM CD but not for a laptop so nice to have all the non standard drivers before wiping the old WinME.

Rebooted and the laptop is starting OK with "No Password Screen".

Hopefully these posting will be helpful to anyone with this problem.

Thanks again for all your comments!

Ken

Edited by KenO

Update WinME is booting and shutting down OK after did password removal.

Only thing that remains is the Password Log Off Icon which I have been unable to delete using the standard Win9x right click delete method.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again

Ken

Edited by KenO