Pny GeForce 6200 AGP 512mb problem

dovdo

Hi friends,

I have a BIG problem. :no: :no:

Recently I purchased a GeForce 6200 AGP 512mb video card. Today I performed a clean install of Windows Me with no problems. I also edited system.ini file to allow my system to boot correctly.

My mobo is an Asus a7n8x-e deluxe with a 2gb ram installed. I limited total ram to 512mb.

Before I install video drivers, Windows works well (low resolution), with no problem using its own universal vga driver.

After I install video card drivers, I reboot my system, but..... boot process stops in similar dos environment, with a full black screen. Surfing the web, I've read that my problem is maybe caused by windows 9x memory limit.

It's there a way to edit system.ini file to force windows to see only a part of my video card memory (my video card is has 512mb installed)?

Read the thread submix8c pointed you to.

Then, try seting MaxPhysPage=7CB00, then try MaxFileCache=65536 in system.ini and system.cb (for *much* more detail, do read my > 1 GiB RAM thread, linked from the left side of my signature), return to the VGA driver in safe mode (that's why you need to edit system.cb), boot to normal mode and use the great freeware Driver Cleaner Pro Version 1.5 (*NOT* Driver Cleaner .NET !!!). Version 1.5 supports Win 9x/ME, despite that not being explicit in the on-site information. Do not use add/remove to remove the nVidia driver, because it won't do a through job. Then install the unofficial 82.69 nVidia drivers. If that works, great! If not, you may now test RLoew's RAM Limitation Patch, with the /M switch. If that works, great! If not, you're out of luck. Any 512 MiB video card is a tough beast to tame under 9x/ME, and most attempts have met with failure. So, don't put your hopes very high.