Apply Unattended To Wim?

where is this best prcatice article?

tbh, i've tried compressing a wim with max, then recompresing the compressed wim again, but it didn't work

Of course. You can do a max compress on a no compress, but you can't do a fast on a max. The article is on the Partner network.

i tried doing max compress on max compress

are you guys trolling me or something?

i hve tried it before and it didn't work, idk why it would be defferent

I guess either you are doing it wrong or you are trying to compress an already compressed wim. We are doing it successfully, today only I have compressed my wim from 2.17gb to 1.97gb, compress 200 mb; almost 10% of the size of the install.wim.

i tried doing max compress on max compress

are you guys trolling me or something?

i hve tried it before and it didn't work, idk why it would be defferent

Max compress on max doesn't do anything. You can do max compress on a fast and get results. Honestly, i tried some compress tests last friday and found I would only save about 300MB on my Win7 image from no compress to max compress. In our case, we were concerned about size on DVD (for x64) but after recompress at max for an hour and only saving 300MB it became obvious it wasn't worth it.

ANY space to me is worth it, my image right now is 6.2 GB's so if i could take 10 percent off that that would be good, i'm hoping to get it to fit on a single layer DVD, instead of having to cut into my much smaller pile of DVD DL's

Unfortunately, No, we can't use Dism /Apply-Unattend, to integrate an full Autounattend.xml file!

I've tested many times whitout success, even if the process with DISM was successful!!!

It's only usefull to add devices drivers or packages!

Unattended Servicing Command-Line Options

Extract:

Limitations:

When you use DISM.exe to apply an answer file to a running operating system, the answer file should only contain elements in the offlineServicing configuration pass.

This is because some settings in the Specialize configuration pass might get applied to the operating system.

We recommend that the answer file you use with DISM only contain settings in the offlineServicing configuration pass.

More help:

http://www.msfn.org/...attended-setup/

But, this can be done with sysprep, like explained here:

http://technet.micro...).aspx#IMPLICIT

Edited by myselfidem

It was possible under Vista (haven't tried 7) to have an image that is sysprepped using /unattend:unattend.xml. You needed the full path, but I liked to put it in Panther, so path to c:\windows\panther\sysprep.xml. Then you mount the image and overwrite the sysprep.xml file, deploy and reboot. Basically, windows only records the filename specified during sysprep. It doesn't actually parse it until the system boots for the first time, so you could replace the file.