A couple of Windows 7 questions that I need answered.

clivebuckwheat

1.I am asking this question out of curiosity. I have a computer with 2 physical hard drives. The first hard drive has Windows 7 x64 professional on it.

The 2nd hard drive has personal data and a number of partitions on it, and the 2nd hard drive is disabled in the BIOS.

My question is why is windows 7 still seeing the 2nd hard drive if I have disabled it in the BIOS?.

Does Windows 7 override the BIOS?

I have to know the answer to this one, as it is rather annoying.

2. Is it possible to put a disk offline using diskpart?

The reason why Windows sees it is because the motherboard is enumerating it even while disabled. This isn't really a Windows 7 issue, as not all motherboards are created equal. I've seen many instances where something can be disabled at the BIOS level and still appear in Windows. Here are some examples:

1. On an EEE PC (700 or 900 series) you can disable the Wireless in the BIOS. It still appears in Device Manager but is not usable.

2. On the D510MO, you can specify to use PCI-E video (which on most Intel boards will disable the onboard video) it indeed uses PCI-E video, but still leaves the onboard detectable in Windows. And as you can imagine, this can cause some video configuration issues!

So basically, I am not surprised that you have disabled something in the BIOS and Windows still picks it up, but this is the fault of the hardware and not so much the OS.

You'll still need to know how to select it. You can select it by the disk # or the volume letter. For example, if you are having problems with the item showing up as 0 or 1, but it always gets the same letter, you can offline it that way. I just tried this in the WinPE:

sel vol c
offline disk

If you need to bring the disk online, replace with online instead of offline.