winbootdir, windir, winver, those variables sucks!

pichorra

Well, hello to everybody, you guys are helping me so much! =D

well, i was trying to run a DOS only application, and it sayd i can't run this program on Win95 DOS box. Then i've tryed to trick the DOS editing the MSDOS.SYS adding those lines:

VER=6.2

VERSION=6.2

DOS=6.2

DOSVER=6.2

DOSVERSION=6.2

Restarted the PC and run my DOS config. But it doesn't worked. Okay, then i've removed those lines in MSDOS.SYS

winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS

windir=C:\WINDOWS

HostWinBootDrv=C

Then restarted the computer and, run the DOS conf. and started the app. Yay, it ran fine.

but when i tryed to run Windows back, it says "Error loading vFat", and the system halt. Then i've added this varyables into my CONFIG.SYS inside the Win98 setup.

SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS

SET windir=C:\WINDOWS

SET HostWinBootDrv=C

but it didn't work! then i've restaured my MSDOS.SYS to my working one and it ran windows fine! ah, this varyables sucks! anyone can help me to fix this Micro$oft mess? :)

Edited by pichorra

This isn't the problem, the problem is: I Did 2 Diferent Configurations (as you see in my Post), One to Start Win98 and other to start the "Pure" Dos. The problem is: Those variables are Screwing up my Configuration! If i remove they, DOS-Only-app.-with-Windows-Check will work but windows Won't start! If i keep they, Windows Starts Sucefully but DOS-App.-with-Windows-Check won't start anymore! AND if i put those varyables into CONFIG.SYS, the WINDOWS WILL NOT READ THEY, AND WON'T START!

I think i must try to hack the app. to remove the Windows check :P (i have small Dissassembler experience)

[edit]

Well, i've hacked the Application and removed the Windows Box check Logic.

Another thing :P

My AWE64 only play MIDI if i start Diagnoses.EXE and it checks the Card, then it can play midi from everywhere. Could be something i'm missing?

Edited by pichorra

This isn't the problem, the problem is: I Did 2 Diferent Configurations (as you see in my Post), One to Start Win98 and other to start the "Pure" Dos.
Yes, I see that - you're trying to "brute force" instead of "sidestepping".
The problem is: Those variables are Screwing up my Configuration! If i remove they, DOS-Only-app.-with-Windows-Check will work but windows Won't start! If i keep they, Windows Starts Sucefully but DOS-App.-with-Windows-Check won't start anymore! AND if i put those varyables into CONFIG.SYS, the WINDOWS WILL NOT READ THEY, AND WON'T START!

I think i must try to hack the app. to remove the Windows check :P (i have small Dissassembler experience)

[edit]

Well, i've hacked the Application and removed the Windows Box check Logic.

Another thing :P

My AWE64 only play MIDI if i start Diagnoses.EXE and it checks the Card, then it can play midi from everywhere. Could be something i'm missing?

OK, I don't quite understand how the variables are "screwing up" your configuration. What "configuration"? Please explain.

Everything you need to "sidestep" Windows is in the thread mentioned (without "hacking' I might add). Just start Windows, then start your DOS-Mode and proceed from there. It , in essence, "restarts in DOS-Mode" with the appropriate AutoExec and Config settings for DOS-only. When done (and to go back to Windows), "Quit" at command-line. Simple and just like "dual-boot".

You can't have "two simultaneous configurations" (as you seem to be trying to do). One is active, the other isn't and the methos as shown allows "switching" between the two (as you are wanting to do anyway).

As for the "sound" did you inadvertently "hack" something away? Set up according to the given link and away you go (as if you booted to DOS).

[Yes, I see that - you're trying to "brute force" instead of "sidestepping".OK,

Well, look: On MSDOS.SYS, i've set BootUI=0, so by this way i can do multiple configurations on CONFIG.SYS to Start or NOT windows.

I don't quite understand how the variables are "screwing up" your configuration. What "configuration"? Please explain.

Well, the Multiple Configurations on Config.Sys, since if i remove those variables, the Applications will see a Pure DOS, wihout Windows.

Everything you need to "sidestep" Windows is in the thread mentioned (without "hacking' I might add). Just start Windows, then start your DOS-Mode and proceed from there. It , in essence, "restarts in DOS-Mode" with the appropriate AutoExec and Config settings for DOS-only. When done (and to go back to Windows), "Quit" at command-line. Simple and just like "dual-boot".

I've understeanded what you mean, but i'm trying to do that by another way (i do not need to start windows)

You can't have "two simultaneous configurations" (as you seem to be trying to do). One is active, the other isn't and the methos as shown allows "switching" between the two (as you are wanting to do anyway).

That is exactly what i did.

As for the "sound" did you inadvertently "hack" something away? Set up according to the given link and away you go (as if you booted to DOS).

The Sound thing is a problem with Musics in DOS games, but i got the AWE64 Manual and readed that, there's a fix on Creative labs site, i've asked that here for do not spread topic arround here.

The hack thing is:

Open the Dissassembler:

Open the HEX editor:

Aim the Application i want to change the code and Dissassembler it (It convert the EXE in ASM codes).

Find the variable or something related with the issue. (in this case was the Windows variables check)

Remove the Checage, so i can run it wihout problems even from inside the Windows. (change jumpers, in this case was simple filing the variable checage with 00's )

save and lauch. Yay it is done. It is pretty much like what crackers do for removing CD check. But in this case, was Windows Check.

It isn't ilegal or something else if i only keep that for myself. it is a "Brutal force" workarrond in the application i was trying to run.

I use a very simple approach to running true DOS on my System

I added the following line to the end of my AUTOEXEC.BAT File:

COMMAND

The Computer boots up to true DOS, so I can run applications or make changes.

To go to Windows I only have to type:

EXIT

COMMAND

EXIT

or i can do a Multiple Configuration Mode into CONFIG.SYS and yay, get the same result =P

But we are going offtopic here... Back on topic: There's a way to change the WinBootDir, Windir and winver variables WIHOUT editing MSDOS.SYS, or even add those variables into CONFIG.SYS or AUTOEXEC.BAT? if i get another application with the Windows checkage, it can be pretty more hardcoded for do my "Brutal" workarround.

Edited by pichorra

COMMAND

EXIT

or i can do a Multiple Configuration Mode into CONFIG.SYS and yay, get the same result =P

Not quite.

If you select DOS then you need to reboot to go to Windows. I just type EXIT if I want Windows.

Also Multiple Configuration Mode is not as quite as simple.

This isn't the problem, the problem is: I Did 2 Diferent Configurations (as you see in my Post), One to Start Win98 and other to start the "Pure" Dos. The problem is: Those variables are Screwing up my Configuration! If i remove they, DOS-Only-app.-with-Windows-Check will work but windows Won't start! If i keep they, Windows Starts Sucefully but DOS-App.-with-Windows-Check won't start anymore! AND if i put those varyables into CONFIG.SYS, the WINDOWS WILL NOT READ THEY, AND WON'T START!

the only reason i could think is:

evirontment variables that set with other than msdos.sys method, will have UpperCase as its names,

but windows will check for the existance of non-uppercase name as requirement to start itself.

being a dos person myself,

also using BootGUI=0 in msdos.sys, and type "win" at command prompt just to start windows.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm sorry for taking this long to reply.

Well, i tryed the Uppercase thing. Nothing, Windows 98 still do not boot.

About the "EMM386 off", it do not seems to work.

Edited by pichorra