ISO labels

vipejc

Is it necessary to change nLite's default Label from WinLite to the label of the Windows installation disc for the bootable ISO to boot? For example, change WinLite to GRTMHFPP_EN?

I know that if the label of some Windows installation discs isn't an exact match, the disc won't boot. nLite doesn't warn about this, but I just want to be sure so I don't burn a coaster.

I know that if the label of some Windows installation discs isn't an exact match, the disc won't boot.

I've never seen that with an XP disc. The disc label is cosmetic here. If you really don't want to burn coasters, try your ISOs in VirtualBox before you burn one.

Just to be safe I changed it.

Well, no. :(

This is not "just to be safe", it is "unneededly" or "just for the fun of it", meaning that there is no - as you have been told by Ponch - known connection between the label (volume name or volume id) and bootability of the CD.

There are quite a number of info on an original XP .iso or CD.

If you run isoinfo -d on the actual original .iso (utility that is part of cdrecord tools, like mkisofs), you may get something similar to:

CD-ROM is in ISO 9660 format
System id:
Volume id: WXPFPP_IT
Volume set id: WXPFPP_IT
Publisher id: MICROSOFT CORPORATION
Data preparer id: MICROSOFT CORPORATION, ONE MICROSOFT WAY, REDMOND WA 98052, (425) 882-8080
Application id: CDIMAGE 2.46 (10/12/2000 TM)
Copyright File id:
Abstract File id:
Bibliographic File id:
Volume set size is: 1
Volume set seqence number is: 1
Logical block size is: 2048
Volume size is: 261167
NO Joliet present
NO Rock Ridge present

The Volume id or Volume set id, as well a Data preparer id and Applicaiton id are NOT connected in ANY way with booting.

jaclaz