Dongle to USB possible ?

bill4d

I have an old version of 3D Studio MAX v3.1, that I purchased legally, and do have the serial number. The problem is, my new computer obviously does not have a parallel port for the dongle to attach to.

Is it possible to use a parallel to USB cable adapter to make the dongle function properly?

I checked and there is such a cable made.

Thanks for any help.

You could also add a PCI card to your PC with that port, unless you have a notebook.

That program is old, I stopped using it 18 years ago but learned the 3D part with it as ACAD 12/13 had such a crap 3D interface. (edit: my bad, we are talking about MAX and not about 3D studio 3.x / 4.x without the MAX and not made for DOS).

You could also add a PCI card to your PC with that port, unless you have a notebook.

That program is old, I stopped using it 18 years ago but learned the 3D part with it as ACAD 12/13 had such a crap 3D interface.

I definately don't want to add a PCI card just to get this software working. I'd rather go the dongle emulator route first.

I'm just not sure if the USB - Parallel port converter cable will function like I need it to.

The program is actually not old. There is a 2011 version. My version is old, but it is the same basic program as their later released versions.

I think you'll better do trail and error and buy at a shop where you can return the product; some cable work, some don't but I can't tell you what model does, and what model doesn't. Hard to say as you won't know what communication chip is used ;).

By the way, I didn't see the "MAX" placed in your first post, my bad.

It is *possible*, but HIGHLY UNlikely.

The USB to Parallel cables are "USB to Parallel" cables ;) they are designed NOT as a full bi-directional converter between USB and IEEE 1284, they usually provide only a "subset" of the protocol.

Compare with:

http://www.keil.com/support/docs/2866.htm

And with:

http://www-user.tu-chemnitz.de/~heha/bastelecke/Rund%20um%20den%20PC/USB2LPT/index.html.en

(that may actually work)

jaclaz

FWIW, I did set up an old HP LaserWriter 5 printer (parallel only) with a brand new Mac Pro using a USB to Parellel adapter. Granted, yes, it's just sending the print job, but it did work. The first adapter died actually, not sure why, but swapping the adapter for a new one brought the setup back to life, and so far it's working.

Not guaranteed to work for you though, you're looking to do more than the adapters are really meant to do. It may work with reduced functionality though, but it's hard to say.