WinNTSetup v5.3.4

JFX

JFX, for a few years now, I'm using the command line option "-drivers: L:" to add drivers at "setup time" with WinNTSetup. I'm checking which PC I'm using, then I'm mounting drive "L:" with the corresponding drivers. This has always worked perfectly (with one XP exception, I've asked about that case before, but that's not the issue now).

With the latest Windows 10 versions (tried both Pro1607 and LTSB1607), something seems to have changed, because the drivers (video, in this case), are not auto installing anymore.

Can this be solved by adding the latest DISM to the tools folder? From a different thread (GetWAIKTools) I seem to recall this might cause some problems with Windows-7 based PEs? I'm using lots of different PE's, so I would really like your advice on this before I start messing with DISM versions... (EDIT: My current DISM folder has the oct-2015 files).

Can you confirm that indeed something has changed with adding drivers? Thanks!

Edited by Atari800XL

No problems here. Integrate drivers to 1607 release from my win7pe works as it should.

You can check the log file in \Windows\WinNTSetup_Dism_stdout.log, to know if the problem is about integration.
Or if there no error than check \Windows\Inf\setupapi.setup.log.

The DISM folder in tools currently only needs the wofadk.sys and api-ms-win-downlevel*.dll files form from ADK5 (v. 9600)

Thanks JFX, for pointing me to WinNTSetup_Dism_stdout. I believe it was my stupid mistake (once again...), because this is what that file reads:

"You cannot service an x86-based image from an x64-based host that does not support WOW64."

Sorry, I forgot about the fact that I have been testing some "x64 only" PE builds (both SE and normal ADK PE's) without WOW64. Thanks for replying so quickly, so I can nip this (self-created) problem in the bud. I will have to adapt my PE scripts to include checks on this. I must admit I didn't know about this issue until now, so I've learned something new!

I will test again and add a small edit to this post if everything goed well again. THANKS again!!!

EDIT: Tested and confirmed. Thanks again JFX, I'm sorry for wasting your time, but I'm very happy that I found the solution!

Edited by Atari800XL

• 1 month later...

Hello.
I write through a translator, I apologize in advance.
The program is a long time and I really like it. I install wim images. version 3.8.5.5
Why are some computers, the program runs for a long time, unpacking is longer than usual? Computers modern, powerful. For example usually work program takes 10 minutes, but some computers (core i3,5) 20-30 minutes. WinPe 7, 8.

Sincerely Rustem.

Hi Rustem,

I have no idea why it should be that slow.
Even on a 8 years old Core2Duo notebook, it just took a 5 minutes to apply the wim file from an USB2.0 flash stick.

To experiment. On the same computer using different WinPE, the same result. I think the case drivers. How to find a need for a device driver, so unpacking was BESTROM. It's not all computers slow.

I have tried to install DriverPack Solution. Not all drivers are installed and after installation requires a reboot. It remains only to find the driver and integrate into WinPE. I will understand more. If something happens unsubscribe here. Thank you

There's a bug that crashes WinNTSetup if you click on the VHD button. To reproduce do the following: click the Tweaks button and then click VHD and the error is universal windows installer has stopped working.
I'm using Windows 8.1 x64 if it matters.

Also, congrats for the new version.

Edited by AlexCeed

@AlexCeed
Sounds like that old bug with some shellextentions of Teamviewer and dropbox.
Do you have any software installed that injects dll's into other processes.

@sergey.stels67
Not sure what you mean by that, nothing changed about answer files.
They are just copied to the locations where windows will search them.

For XP version:

\$WIN_NT$.~BT\winnt.sif
\sysprep\sysprep.inf ; in case of WIM XP distribution.

For Win Vista and later

\Windows\\Panther\unattend.xml

• 1 month later...

Hi, I've been a long time user of winntsetup and love it (I even wrote a wrapper gui to dumb it down a bit for people who use my pe environment).

One problem I have is that I have found it *impossible* to have vista install as C:\ correctly. Even setting the command line option for the setup letter, it still installs itself as D drive, which is unacceptable as it breaks a lot of programs that assume C:\ is the system drive.

Is there a way to force vista to install as C:\? At the moment, I have basically said that the pe is incompatible with vista to get around this, and to use the vista setup instead.

6 hours ago, LinksysRouter said:

Hi, I've been a long time user of winntsetup and love it (I even wrote a wrapper gui to dumb it down a bit for people who use my pe environment).

One problem I have is that I have found it *impossible* to have vista install as C:\ correctly. Even setting the command line option for the setup letter, it still installs itself as D drive, which is unacceptable as it breaks a lot of programs that assume C:\ is the system drive.

Is there a way to force vista to install as C:\? At the moment, I have basically said that the pe is incompatible with vista to get around this, and to use the vista setup instead.

I've the same problem with Vista :(

13 hours ago, LinksysRouter said:

No, with the fast install way, there is no way to change the drive letter for Windows Vista.

You can however use the original setup.exe to install Vista and than generalize and capture it.
The resulting WIM will always have the system drive C:.