No alert on USB insertion

Andromeda43

I only post this, after hours of Googling the problem and trying this and trying that.

When I insert a USB Flash Drive, for instance, into my XP PC, (XP-Pro-SP3) I get no "bong" sound or window opening on the desktop with options.

The Flash Drive does show up in My Computer so I can open it and run files, etc.

Similarly, when I put a AutoRun CD in the CD drive, the drive registers the CD so I can see it in My Computer, but there is no other indication and the CD will not Auto Play.

I've done all the registry fixes that I've seen posted on the internet and I even downloaded the "AutoPlayFix" program from Microsoft. So far nothing has helped. Other than that, my XP runs just fine.

I've even done a re-install of the OS, and ran SFC /scannow, to no avail.

Out of five PC's I have running XP, this is the only one exhibiting this action.

I'm open for suggestions, short of reformatting my drive and re-installing XP.

Cheers mates!

Do a USB keyboard or mouse work? Drives work definately different because they are "enhanced" or bidirectional devices. Check your BIOS to see if there are any BIOS setting differences between a working and non-working system.

All USB devices that I've tried, DO work, including my USB Printers (3). Only the insert notification seems to have gone away, along with AutoPlay.

So it's kind of a double barreled problem, which I'm hoping has a common cause.

My computers are SO different, that comparing the BIOS's would avail little. I have actually gone through this PC's bios to check all settings. It's fine and has

not changed since I originally set up this computer.

Actually, I do run several OS's on this computer and this one install of XP is the only one having any problems.

It's diabolical! I've tried everything I can think of except for performing an exorcism. :whistle:

Thank you, for you response,

B)

The Flash Drive does show up in My Computer so I can open it and run files, etc. - Out of five PC's I have running XP, this is the only one exhibiting this action.
Do a USB keyboard or mouse work? Drives work definately different because they are "enhanced" or bidirectional devices. Check your BIOS to see if there are any BIOS setting differences between a working and non-working system.
There was another "fix" at one time that was part of MS Updates (can't remember which/when) that changed the behavior. Look here for some more info (and another "fix") that may be relevant.

The Flash Drive does show up in My Computer so I can open it and run files, etc. - Out of five PC's I have running XP, this is the only one exhibiting this action.
There was another "fix" at one time that was part of MS Updates (can't remember which/when) that changed the behavior. Look here for some more info (and another "fix") that may be relevant.

Of course, I did go to the link mentioned. However it addresses Disabling Auto run, not getting it to work when all attempts have failed.

Thanks anyway

B)

EDIT: I just had a flash of brilliance..... I checked the Sounds applet and found that the sounds for Inserting Hardware and removing hardware were set to NONE. Yikes! I re-enabled the sounds and now I do get the little two-tone audio alert when I plug in a device or remove a device.

I still don't get the alert on the screen, asking me what to do with the device.

I have all devices set to auto play, but they don't.

Edited by Andromeda43

Of course, I did go to the link mentioned. However it addresses Disabling Auto run, not getting it to work when all attempts have failed.
Then you didn't read the whole thing.

1 - You need (if you don't have) the Update File installed. (REQUIRED)

2 - There are multiple "We''ll Fix It For You" clickies, either "Disable" or "Enable"...

Go back and take a look-see...

Edited by submix8c

Then you didn't read the whole thing.

1 - You need (if you don't have) the Update File installed. (REQUIRED)

2 - There are multiple "We''ll Fix It For You" clickies, either "Disable" or "Enable"...

Go back and take a look-see...

Sorry about that! I did go back and look. Still no fix.

OK....I seem to have solved at least most of my double barreled problem.

I reinstalled the sounds for hardware in and out....so that took care of the sound problem.

I read an article in "Windows Secrets" this morning concerning doing an "XP Non-Destructive Reinstall from XP Setup CD".

After reading through that somewhat lengthy article, I performed the re-install as per the instructions and VOILA, I now have autoplay of most CD's. I still don't get a window opening up on my desktop when I plug in a data Flash Drive, but that's pretty small potatoes.

What I did do though, I made a shortcut to that Flash Drive, which I use a lot, and put the shortcut on my desktop, so I just plug in the FD and then click the shortcut to open Windows Explorer and display the contents of the drive.

One little extra step....no big deal.

Over all, I'm pretty happy to know about the non-destructive re-install of XP. That could make life a little simpler around here.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my cry for help. You're a great bunch of guys.

Blessings!

:hello:

Edited by Andromeda43