(SOLVED) "Sleep mode problems with Asus P5KPL-AM EPU"

bookie32

Hi again! :thumbup

The basic problem is that the "Turn off display" works as it should after my setting 5 minutes (for test purposes)

However, the "Put the computer to sleep" just keeps beeping and bouncing right back to desktop...waking up the screen again?!

OK! Lots of info for you and let us see where it leads us.....

In a previous thread I had problems with the above motherboard and seemed to have resolved the BSOD issue now and it is new stuff.....

I have done upteen tests and different settings but can't seem to solve this one...

My bios settings for power on this board are as follows:

Suspend mode = Auto

ACPI 2.0 Support = disabled

ACPI APIC Support = enabled

APM Configuration:

Restore on AC Power Losse = Power Off

Power on by RTC Alarm = disabled

Power on by External Modems = disabled

Power on by PCI Devices = disabled

Power on by PCIE Devices= disabled

Power on by PS/ 2 Keyboard= disabled

Power on by PS/2 Mouse = disabled

I have tried several different settings...nada....

OK! Progressing to power options in Windows 7.....help it is a jungle.....

I have looked at settings for the balanced plan and have tried several different computations there as well ...nada

At the moment I have standard settings apart from "turn off the display" = five minutes and "Put the computer to sleep" = ten minutes

Been reading different threads about adding extras in "Change advanced power settings" and have tested adding "allow the computer to sleep" for Multimedia settings and turning off hard disk after 5 minutes etc...nada

As pointed out, settings are basically standard at the moment

Moving on here....

I have tried both the start>sleep and the settings for balanced plan and then both bring me back to desktop as you would suspect...

I have tried running the following command from cmd after such an event....powercfg -lastwake and get the following response: (see attached pic)

For those of you that like Linux...:) What is happening here that Windows 7 is making a hash of? This works and the computer goes into sleep mode..

I just press the power switch and the computer goes back to desktop as I left it...

All that being said and done - I have read about usb cordless mice etc being a reason some times... I have my test computers connected to a screen splitter, so that I can work with other computers at the same time....I removed the new computer from that and connected it up to a separate screen, cable mouse, cable keyboard and am getting the same problem.....?

OK!

What I do know is this....I ran a livecd Ubuntu and set the computer up as follows: (see attached pic) Linux...Ubuntu in this case, doesn't seem to have a problem shutting down my screen and then go into sleep mode? I just press the power on switch and I am back in desktop again where I left off...

It would seem the event isn't being recorded?

I can add info as needed...

Can someone have a look and tell me what is going on here?

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

Sleep can be interrupted by programs running on the system. Hibernate (I do not believe) is effected like this.

Here is something you can check out.

Run gpedit.msc

- In Local Computer Policy, expand Administrative Templates

- expand System

- expand Power Management

- click on Sleep Settings

you want to look at "Allow Applications to Prevent Automatic Sleep (plugged-in)"

another one may be "Turn on the Ability for Applications to Prevent Sleep Transitions (plugged-in)"

Presumably, disabling this should stop this behaviour, however I have not tried it.

Another thing to check, make sure you have the Standby State set to S3 in the BIOS. Some motherboards will come from the factory with S1 specified. If it says S1&S3 that is ok.

Hi Tripredacus :thumbup

Thanks for dropping by....I have solved this little puzzle but will keep in mind your info if needed in the future.

MagicAndre1981 has been helping me with his updated trace.....not forgetting it was cluberti who posted it first...... :angel

This is a copy of what I wrote on that thread for those of you looking for a fix....... :wacko:

Hi again

OK! I have solved this little puzzle....

MagicAndre1981 can you possibly do me a favour....... can you look at this second trace and see what gives..

This is what I did and should have done a while ago.......plonker (that is me... )...I reset all settings in "Power Options" apart from turning off the display = 5 minutes and put the computer to sleep =10 minutes (for test purposes)

I then went to device manager and tested two things:

The first being to disable "Allow this device to wake the computer" for the network card. I then retried the "sleep" mode function from start....nada..

The second being to disable " Allow this device to wake the computer" for the mouse. I then retried the "sleep! mode function from start....YES!!

I should have done this ages ago, but in all fairness to myself....I had two different mice attached ...cordless and with cord and nothing seemed to change things.....plonker (that is me again... )

I would like to analyse the info myself but got the same error when running my code if it is right.....pic attached

I have put up a new trace here for you to look at and then share you findings in detail if you wouldn't mind....

bookie32

I will call this thread solved ...

bookie32