Problem Integrating Hotfixes for Win XP SP2

smithwigglesworth0

Hi all,

I am moderately knowledgeable about computers; not a novice neither an expert.

I installed the latest version of NLite yesterday. I am trying to create a Windows XP SP2 CD with all the latest hotfixes/updates. I DONT WANT SP3. I used the "WSUS Offline Updater" tool to download the updates. Now how do I integrate the contents of the XP CD with these updates/hotfixes? In NLite there is no place to click to choose these hotfixes. There is only a place to select Service packs.

Any help on how to go about ?

Hi X,

I used "ctupdate41" tool to download the Windows Updates and Hotfixes and It automatically stores all the hotfixes in folders.

I opened NLiteand came to place where we can add Hotfixes. But when I click on INSERT button, I get a window to choose hotfixes. But I can only select 1 hotfix at a time. And there are about a 100 hotfixes. It will be tedious and time consuming to select each and every hotfix one at a time. There must be an easier way to do this

when I click on INSERT button, I get a window to choose hotfixes. But I can only select 1 hotfix at a time.

In that window, you can click on more than one item while holding CTRL, select a range using SHIFT (click on the first and then the last one), or select all items by pressing CTRL+A. This works generally with most of the other programs too. ;)

GL

when I click on INSERT button, I get a window to choose hotfixes. But I can only select 1 hotfix at a time.

In that window, you can click on more than one item while holding CTRL, select a range using SHIFT (click on the first and then the last one), or select all items by pressing CTRL+A. This works generally with most of the other programs too. ;)

GL

Hi Groft,

LOL ... WHy didnt I think of that? I feel so dumb now. Hahahaha. I am able to select those files using the CTRL key. But there is another problem. That "ctupdate41" tool downloads the updates and creates a few folders automatically. Its like the update files are distributed amongst a few folders. And these folders also contain .cmd , .vbs, .au3, .txt , .cab and .xsl format files. Should I be selecting these files also along with the .exe files ? Let me show you how the folders created by CTFUPDATE tool looks likepost-313377-0-80357300-1294256296_thumb.

It seems that Nlite is finally working. But it has been running for the past 4 hours. It hasnt frozen but it is still running. The bar seems to be moving slowly and 50% of the job is completed. But should it be so slow?There are no other applications running. Just my firewall.

Edited by smithwigglesworth0

What is it doing? It should says things like compressing cabinets. 4 hours for 50% would indicate to me that something was wrong. Unless you have a really slow computer.

I do have an old PC. It has P4 processor and 1 GB RAM. It isnt slow. All applications run fine. I accidentaly switched off my PC and the I tried integrating it again. Its still the same. Its moving slow. It gives me errors occassionally like "so and so hotfix is not for this version of windows". I simply clik on OK and the it starts running again. Yet it shouldnt be this slow. After restarting my PC, it has been about 1 hour and it has moved upto 10-15%.Let me attach the latest screenshot,

The total size of the updates is approximately 1 GB excluding the SP3 installation file which is about 324 mb

post-313377-0-20832200-1294346860_thumb.

Edited by smithwigglesworth0

1 gig of updates? That's wrong. Especially if you are integrating sp3. Do yourself a favor and click the link in my signature and download the updates you really need. Should be about 85MB. Forget about the rest if you are indeed slipstreaming SP3.

It will download roughly 100 updates(about 85 megs) and add-ons needed for Windows Update. Once you slipstream SP3 and what's listed on my page you will be greeted with an empty Windows Update.