Dual Boot Windows 7 Pro 64

sreilly

I'm getting ready to build a new computer for the observatory that is remotely operated. The owner has two imaging setups that share a common telescope mount. My thought is to build the computer as a dual booting system so he can boot into either imaging setup configuration. That said, can anyone verify if it's valid to use the same Windows product key for both bootable drives? My gut says it's one computer and only one system can be used at any given time. The image that MS sees is the same being the same computer. I'd rather this be done properly. I don't have a EULA in front of me to consult.

Thanks,

Steve

If it is a retail version (or most OEM versions), then YES, one license per product key. Volume licenses, in accordance with the agreement with MS, can be used on more than one PC. Do you have Windows CDs purchased from a store, did they come along with the PCs or you downloaded ISO images from MSDN/Technet?

Cheers

If it is a retail version (or most OEM versions), then YES, one license per product key. Volume licenses, in accordance with the agreement with MS, can be used on more than one PC. Do you have Windows CDs purchased from a store, did they come along with the PCs or you downloaded ISO images from MSDN/Technet?

Cheers

The OS will be ordered with the parts. It will be OEM. I understand the license/product key but not sure this addresses the question of dual boot partitions using the same license on each boot partition. I would think that activation of both boot partitions would look like a re-install on the second drive.

Steve

Cheers

The OS will be ordered with the parts. It will be OEM. I understand the license/product key but not sure this addresses the question of dual boot partitions using the same license on each boot partition. I would think that activation of both boot partitions would look like a re-install on the second drive.

Steve

I can't say I have high trust in my MS inquiry made this afternoon but Judy, in India of course, said that the license is good for one laptop or desktop so the fact that it is a dual boot one computer configuration, only one license is required. I guess I'll go that route for now and see how it pans out. I know that my other software won't have issues with this but I never know about MS. Push comes to shove, it will delay the shipping to the observatory by a few days. No biggie I guess but I'd rather do it right the first time and be done with it. I don't however want to buy something not needed.

Thanks

sreilly, I found this searching MS. There is no answer, but I suggest you consider doing some testing under a virtual system. VMware Player, VirtualPC and VirtualBox are all free. I use VMware Player, so know it supports W7 - don't know about the others. Enjoy, John.

EDIT:

From my EULA (W7 Ultimate):

2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS.

a. One Copy per Computer. You may install one copy of the software on one computer. That computer is the “licensed computer.”

b. Licensed Computer. You may use the software on up to two processors on the licensed computer at one time. Unless otherwise provided in these license terms, you may not use the software on any other computer.

Edited by johnhc

My thought is to build the computer as a dual booting system so he can boot into either imaging setup configuration.

Hi sreilly!

I have repeatedly installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits twice into the same HDD. I've also repeatedly installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits into a primary partition and Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bits into another one of same HDD for old programs compatibility reasons.

I ialways activated happily each and every installed unit using the same legal key for both drives.

HTH

Edited by cannie

My thought is to build the computer as a dual booting system so he can boot into either imaging setup configuration.

Hi sreilly!

I have repeatedly installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits twice into the same HDD. I've also repeatedly installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits into a primary partition and Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bits into another one of same HDD for old programs compatibility reasons.

I ialways activated happily each and every installed unit using the same legal key for both drives.

HTH

I guess I should clarify that the one Windows 7 Pro 64 will be installed on both booting partitions. One copy, one license, two bootable systems on one computer. Dual boot.

I guess I should clarify that the one Windows 7 Pro 64 will be installed on both booting partitions. One copy, one license, two bootable systems on one computer. Dual boot.

Windows 7 always uses a first hidden 100 MB partition as boot drive, no matter how many drives of the same HDD you install.

You can find a wider explanation of all this here:

HTH

Edited by cannie

Windows 7 always uses a first hidden 100 MB partition as boot drive, no matter how many drives of the same HDD you install.

You can find a wider explanation of all this here:

HTH

From a quick read I can say that this is not discussing a dual or multi-boot computer. Dual boot being two operating systems on one computer. When setup properly, you are asked which system to boot into. I had a computer in my observatory set to boot into XP Pro 32 and XP Pro 64. Now this did require a license product key for each install as they were two different OS. The question here is installing one operating system twice on the same computer using two bootable hard drives. On start up of the computer the boot.ini file executes and offers a choice of installed operating systems to start. I've had three OSs at one time installed, XP Pro 32, XP Pro 64, and Vista Ultimate 64. You, by default, have 30 seconds to choose which OS and if it times out, opens the default system.

The question here is installing one operating system twice on the same computer using two bootable hard drives.

As said I never had any problems at all on using the same product key while installing the same Windows 7 version into two primary partitions of the same HDD.

AFAIK you have the right to do what you say because you are using the same computer and the only chenge that you introduce is using a different hard disk.

Best wishes

NO, it doesn't. :no:

It does that only if at (first) install time it finds an UNpartitioned system.

See here, JFYI:

jaclaz