Scandisk Advanced Settings

frogman

I have to now and again press my reset button due to a simple system crash, and I have only noticed recently that a message appears saying that Scan-disk is checking drive "C" for cross linked files, just curious if this has anything to do with having Kernel-ex installed.

But my main question is on the advanced settings for scan-disk, and I wondered if my settings as per my image below are in your opinion acceptable for the situation, more importantly the delete, make copies, or ignore for the cross linked files.

Plus if there is anything that you think I should change please let me know.

scand10.jpg

Edited by frogman

This is the normal behaviour of Windows, nothing to do with KernelEx and it can be disabled in the advanced options of the System Configuration Utility (type msconfig in the run box and then go to the advanced dialog and check disable scandisk after bad shutdown should you wish to disable it) .

As for cross-linked files, it makes sense to make copies of them, however, since cross-linked files are files sharing identical filesystem clusters, something which should not normally happen, it is likely that those copies will have corrupted content.

Other than that I would append to log rather than replace it.

Edited by loblo

As for cross-linked files, it makes sense to make copies of them, however, since cross-linked files are files sharing identical filesystem clusters, something which should not normally happen, it is likely that those copies will have corrupted content.

I wonder if deleting the cross linked files would help or make the system cleaner especially as you say they may likely be corrupted?

I wonder if deleting the cross linked files would help or make the system cleaner especially as you say they may likely be corrupted?

Sometimes one of them would be intact. If you delete them you will lose both. You do need to review all of them to replace or remove the damaged files.

Sometimes one of them would be intact. If you delete them you will lose both. You do need to review all of them to replace or remove the damaged files.

Is there an option to review them one by one, if there is I haven't noticed it.