changing Windows update settings

Hi.

Normally when I install Windows 7 Windows Update is set to "Install updates automatically (recommended)".

How can I set it (in installation files) to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them"?

Thank you in advance for any reply.

Best regards, Cosmin3.

Hello!

You can use this reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]
"ElevateNonAdmins"=dword:00000000
"AUOptions"=dword:00000002
"IncludeRecommendedUpdates"=dword:00000000

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello!

You can use this reg file:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]
"ElevateNonAdmins"=dword:00000000
"IncludeRecommendedUpdates"=dword:00000000

Cheers

It's working fine on x86 but not on x64, not even if I restart Windows 7...

I monitored the registry manually using regedit and it doesn't seem to be a direct connection between what regedit shows and the keys/values used by the Windows Update GUI.

Is there a workaround...?

I used Rt7lite Unattended section >> RunOnce:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /f /v "ElevateNonAdmins" /t REG_DWORD /d "0x00000000"
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /f /v "AUOptions" /t REG_DWORD /d "0x00000002"
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update" /f /v "IncludeRecommendedUpdates" /t REG_DWORD /d "0x00000000"

But I tested also directly by double clicking on the reg file...

Edited by JohnMirror

I did a little research.

I tried with regshot and it shows changes in HKLM when I switch from "Never check for updates" to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them":

capturezck.png

However, with any of the (4) regedit versions that I tryed I can't found "Wow6432node" for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE. But I can found for Classes. And if I search for "AUOptions" key, only one is found (for which the value is unchanged).

Is there any solution for my problem...?

Thank you.

Check if you have made some changes, or add this value, inside your Autounattend.xml for 64-bit version:

<DynamicUpdate>
<Enable>false</Enable>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
</DynamicUpdate>

Edited by myselfidem

Check if you have made some changes, or add this value, inside your Autounattend.xml for 64-bit version:

<DynamicUpdate>
<Enable>false</Enable>
<WillShowUI>OnError</WillShowUI>
</DynamicUpdate>

Thank you.

I tried installing in VirtualBox.

The Windows Update settings were unchanged (still default).

But when I started regedit I noticed that HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node is visible.

If I try importing your reg file it goes into the node and does change Windows Update settings. If I manually change outside the node then it changes settings.

So the question is: how do I "convince" regedit.exe and reg.exe to add/modify/delete registry entries (automatically) outside the node and not in it...?

DynamicUpdate This is not WU

DynamicUpdate specifies whether to enable Dynamic Updates during Windows Setup. Dynamic Updates search for new Windows Setup files, including drivers and other files, to be used to install the Windows operating system.

I call a reg file during Firstlogoncommands and within is

;62 Microsoft Update settings
"IncludeRecommendedUpdates"=dword:00000001

If you open regedit from an Admin cmd prompt you will see the Wow6432Node. If not Admin then normal regedit won't show it. I know it is confusing but is there to support 32 bit software on a 64 machine.

You want to see both sides then grab my Jump2reg in my Sig, it has both sides by unchecking the 64 bit box

If you open regedit from an Admin cmd prompt you will see the Wow6432Node. If not Admin then normal regedit won't show it. I know it is confusing but is there to support 32 bit software on a 64 machine.

You want to see both sides then grab my Jump2reg in my Sig, it has both sides by unchecking the 64 bit box

Ok, I understand, but how do I integrate that reg file into Windows 7 DVD so it would change Windows Update settings..? Preferably using Rt7lite...

If you meant "forum" is kinda dead. I haven't seen the author on forum since last year. Plus Cosmin3 asked the same question there and didn't get a good answer.

If you meant "topic", it's right here as sticky so I don't think it's a big deal if I asked in the same "neighborhood". But ok, I will ask there...

Thanks anyway.

Ok, I understand, but how do I integrate that reg file into Windows 7 DVD so it would change Windows Update settings..? Preferably using Rt7lite...

You can read the tutorail here to add custom registry settings with RT Se7en Lite:

How to add Custom registry using RT Seven Lite?