Word 2007 files take forever to open in Vista (was: Will an SSD help?)

JorgeA

GrofLuigi,

Thanks for the links! There's several useful things there that I could do, although I'm not sure that they would solve my specific issue.

I'm bookmarking them so that I don't forget to study them in more detail.

--JorgeA

Got the same problem in Win 7, just tried :( . Maybe try the shortcut as suggested in post 8 from the run command: "C:\Program

Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\EXCEL.EXE" /e "%1" (with the quotation marks around the %1, but not around the path.

I will google some more in the mean time.

Edited by BlouBul

dencorso,

I tried all the suggestions in the link BlouBul provided.

- Vista doesn't seem to have an option for disabling DDE, as I reported to BlouBul in another post.

- I tried the netstat -a command, and it did not return anything that included SYN_SENT.

- The Folder Options in Vista also lack a choice to "Automatically search for network folders and printers." At least, I wasn't able to find it.

- One of the earlier load time measurements was conducted with Norton 360 disabled. It didn't seem to cut down on loading time significantly.

Looks like we're back to square 1.

This is my 2¢ right now.

If I'm counting right, we are now up to 10 cents' worth in this thread! :) Although the advice from everyone has sure been worth a lot more than that.

--JorgeA

Sorry no luck with the googling for now. :(

Did you try the direct command in my previous post?, otherwise we'll have to wait for one of the software gurus to come up with a fix. I'm gonna get some sleep now, See you tomorrow. Good luck.

There's a reason why the page pointed to by BlouBul is entitled: "Double-Clicked Documents Slow to Open In Word"... :D

I've been playing around with DDESpy for the last few minutes, and I'm convinced DDE is only invoked when one opens a document by double-clicking on it. If, conversely, one opens Word, then goes through the "File" menu, "Open" routine, DDE is not involved at all. So let's find out whether DDE is the reason of your problem or not, in a very scientific way. You just reported 7 timings of opening the file in Vista, by double clicking on it. So, please do it again 7 times, but now, with Word already open, by going through the "File" menu, "Open" submenu, selecting the file in the file browse box and starting the stopwatch on clicking the "Open" button in the browse box. Then close just the file, not Word, and repeat. I bet it'll be much faster. And then we'll know the problem is with DDE. Or we'll disprove it.

If I'm counting right, we are now up to 10 cents' worth in this thread! :)

Not sure if it is technically correct to count all the two cents in different currencies together (dencorso might complain it is not scientific enough ;) ), but if everyone agrees to give two 1c coins (rather than 1 off 2c coin), we can count the 1 cent coins together :D ) We can later decide what we gonna call it once we reach 100 cents :lol: Hopefully the problem will be solved before then.

Looks like we're back to square 1.

Anyway, looks like we need more than the current 10 cents, so here is another 2x1c ZAR:

If the file doesn't open faster through Word's File-Open command and we can dismiss the DDE theory by also running Word without DDE from the commandline as per post#62 (just change Excel.exe to WinWord.exe), I found some more possible things to check:

1. Is your network cable connected?

The files I open are on local drive... If the network cable is not connected, opening is very fast...

Eg : I run Word, disconnect network wire, open a file on local drive C:, like 3 sec to open it

Then I connect the network (wired ou wifi) and open again the same doc... up to 5 minutes

http://forums.techar...port/889081.htm

2. Do you have any compatibility packs installed?

the user had the PowerPoint 2007 viewer installed, and also the

Compatibility Pack for Office 2007 (exactly the inverse of what he needed -

this is to open 2007 files if you have Office 2003 or earlier installed).

Removing both of these (I'd guess it was the compatibility pack) left Office

2007 able to open *.doc files in a few seconds - instead of up to 45

minutes. User happy... (me too).

http://www.eggheadca...-documents.aspx

Edited by BlouBul

1. Is your network cable connected?

2. Do you have any compatibility packs installed?

BlouBul,

Hopefully this will help to narrow things down a little -- I do have a network cable connected (otherwise I couldn't post here ;) ), and I do not have any compatibility packs installed. My copy of Office is 2007, taken whole out of the original box.

Let me know how this affects the diagnosis!

--JorgeA

Hi JorgA,

The question was just to see if the network cable affects the opening times. So for a test, disconnect your network cable, open the file, see if it makes a difference. Then you can reconnect the cable and post a reply ;) . Just to confirm the dismissal of DDE, Is there a difference in the opening times between when you doubleclick to open the document from outside Word and when you open the document through Word with file-open? Did you also try opening Word through that command that disable DDE?

I've been playing around with DDESpy for the last few minutes, and I'm convinced DDE is only invoked when one opens a document by double-clicking on it. If, conversely, one opens Word, then goes through the "File" menu, "Open" routine, DDE is not involved at all. So let's find out whether DDE is the reason of your problem or not, in a very scientific way. You just reported 7 timings of opening the file in Vista, by double clicking on it. So, please do it again 7 times, but now, with Word already open, by going through the "File" menu, "Open" submenu, selecting the file in the file browse box and starting the stopwatch on clicking the "Open" button in the browse box. Then close just the file, not Word, and repeat. I bet it'll be much faster. And then we'll know the problem is with DDE. Or we'll disprove it.

dencorso,

Well... At the time, I didn't realize that it made a difference whether you open a file from within Word, or by double-clicking on it off the directory listing. So ALL the tests (for both computers) that I reported the other day were performed from within Word. Moreover (and again, since I had no way of knowing it might make a difference), I opened the file by single-clicking on it in the "Recent Documents" list. (Except for the first time on each computer, of course.)

I've repeated the series for the Vista PC, this time by double-clicking as you described. Here are the results:

Loading Time, Double-Clicking from Outside Word:

3:44

3:53

3:54

4:31

4:38

5:27

6:30

Even with the flaws in the tests, it's pretty clear that opening the file from outside Word involves a big hit in loading time.

--JorgeA

Edited by JorgeA

Use a Code Box (<> thingy) and some ASCI characters, knock yourself out with that :lol: .

puntoMX,

Thanks a bunch for the tip! I had seen that option before, but then when I noticed the word "code," I would always think "computer code" and, since I'm not a programmer, go on to ignore it as something I wouldn't know what to do with.

But now I know. B)

--JorgeA

Hi JorgA,

The question was just to see if the network cable affects the opening times. So for a test, disconnect your network cable, open the file, see if it makes a difference. Then you can reconnect the cable and post a reply ;) . Just to confirm the dismissal of DDE, Is there a difference in the opening times between when you doubleclick to open the document from outside Word and when you open the document through Word with file-open? Did you also try opening Word through that command that disable DDE?

BlouBul,

O.K., I disconnected the Ethernet cable from my PC and then loaded the file by doubleclicking on it from outside Word. Time: 3:20.

Then, with the cable still disconnected, I loaded the file from within Word. Time: 3:37.

Regarding the disabling of DDE, I couldn't find any way to do that in Vista.

What do you think?

--JorgeA