Word 2007 files take forever to open in Vista (was: Will an SSD help?)

JorgeA

OK good luck with your deadline.

If you can fit in one test with the original file from outside Word it would be nice... Hopefully, it will only take half a minute. Just to give us something to think about during the rest of the week. Otherwise, see you Monday.

Edited by BlouBul

OK good luck with your deadline.

If you can fit in one test with the original file from outside Word it would be nice... Hopefully, it will only take half a minute. Just to give us something to think about during the rest of the week. Otherwise, see you Monday.

BlouBul,

Made good progress this morning, so I'm taking a break to get you some more data.

Here are the results for opening my original big file from outside Word, with the grammar/spelling checks OFF:

2:37

2:25

3:24

2:35

2:57

2:24

3:52

One (possibly) interesting observation: In this series, the three highest values occurred when I had the MSFN Forum Reply box open, to prepare this post and input the results. The four lowest values all came about when I was on this MSFN thread, but not with the reply box open. What could THAT mean? Does the reply box consume that many resources?

Sorry to throw in some pears along with the apples, oranges, and bananas, just at the time that I won't be able to participate for a while. We have a really messy fruit salad now. Maybe you all can run some tests opening the test file with the Reply box open vs. closed, and see if that makes a difference for you, too.

I hope to be able to get in here again today. Otherwise, I'll talk to you on Monday.

--JorgeA

UPDATE: I got to run a series under the same conditions, but with the three checks turned ON:

3:33

3:27

3:28

3:31

3:23

3:31

4:44

The highest value was the last one I took. The only difference in circumstances was that during that file loading, an e-mail came in and I quickly replied to it. Otherwise everything was the same as for the other series -- I even stayed out of the MSFN Reply box.

Edited by JorgeA

Hi JorgeA,

When you get a chance again, Open the C# file again from outside word, see if it still fast. If it is, open the original and then the c# file all from outside Word. If our previous results is repeatable, the times should be about 26 sec, 3 min, 26 sec. (just to make sure nothing else is interfering) That will tell us there is something different between the two files.

Then you can test if something is corrupted by opening the big file (whichever way is the fastest) and press CTRL+A (select All) then press CTRL+C (COPY). Create a new blank document by pressing CTRL+N and then paste the document there (CTRL+V). Save the file as test.doc (or test.docx). Close Word and open the doc from outside Word. Once will probably be enough, just to see if it is in the 26 sec or 3min range. If it is in the 3 min range, we should investigate what other differences there are.

In the mean time I'll try to figure out why your computer is fast when opening the C# file from outside WORD, or the more relevant question for me and puntoMX, why our computers is so slow. That will probably be a vital link in identifying the actual problem.

@puntoMX: Can you please confirm if you also see the phenomenon that while opening a file, the page counting starts slowly (I also noticed the counting in threes) and then the sudden acceleration (normally after page 1 of 210 for me). More than half the pages are being counted in the last 10 sec for me (that tells me that if nothing is interfering, my file should open in 20 sec instead of 100 sec. Can you also see if your time is also much less with those three settings off.

@dencorso:If you get a chance (and your wife allows you!), can you please see if you see the same phenomenon on your wife's computer (Word 2007), as this seems not to be a problem with Word'97, but only 2007/2010.

Anyone else with an idea why this is happening, your input will be very much appreciated.

Edited by BlouBul

Hi JorgeA,

When you get a chance again, Open the C# file again from outside word, see if it still fast. If it is, open the original and then the c# file all from outside Word. If our previous results is repeatable, the times should be about 26 sec, 3 min, 26 sec. (just to make sure nothing else is interfering) That will tell us there is something different between the two files.

Then you can test if something is corrupted by opening the big file (whichever way is the fastest) and press CTRL+A (select All) then press CTRL+C (COPY). Create a new blank document by pressing CTRL+N and then paste the document there (CTRL+V). Save the file as test.doc (or test.docx). Close Word and open the doc from outside Word. Once will probably be enough, just to see if it is in the 26 sec or 3min range. If it is in the 3 min range, we should investigate what other differences there are.

Hi BlouBul,

Thanks a bunch for the new set of tests. I do get the sense that we're honing in on something, or at least slowly groping our way toward it.

I'm not sure that I will get the chance to in the next couple of days, but for when I do -- the various tests you asked me to run in the first two paragraphs, should I do them with the spell/grammar checks on or off, or does it not matter as long as I'm consistent?

I really appreciate your continuing to follow up on this! :yes:

--JorgeA

Thanks a bunch for the new set of tests. I do get the sense that we're honing in on something, or at least slowly groping our way toward it.

You're welcome, I agree, but I also think it is more the second option (therefore all the cries for help)

I'm not sure that I will get the chance to in the next couple of days, but for when I do -- the various tests you asked me to run in the first two paragraphs, should I do them with the spell/grammar checks on or off, or does it not matter as long as I'm consistent?

The first 3 test should take about 5 min if the previous results are repeatable (30 sec + 3:30 + 30sec). In the C# file it didn't matter if settings were on or off, it still opened very fast from outside Word. This is just to ensure there is nothing else running and the different times are under the same conditions. So just keep it consistent

The second test should also take less than 5 min (you can save time by creating the new file after opening it in the test above). I think you only need to test it once to see in which group it falls. But if you are too busy, don't worry, there is no haste. Good luck.

Edited by BlouBul

@puntoMX: Can you please confirm if you also see the phenomenon that while opening a file, the page counting starts slowly (I also noticed the counting in threes) and then the sudden acceleration (normally after page 1 of 210 for me). More than half the pages are being counted in the last 10 sec for me (that tells me that if nothing is interfering, my file should open in 20 sec instead of 100 sec. Can you also see if your time is also much less with those three settings off.

Right, now, I used the unmodified file you linked to before, but that file has 4 languages in it; besides English it also has a part with polish, German and Dutch in it. Those 3 languages I don't have installed so that would explain why word was so slow opening them as it was looking for the proofing tools or so (close to that, i didn't program the darn thing :lol:). By selecting the whole text and setting the language to English and saving it, reopening the file will take 13 seconds from outside word, and in those 13 seconds it will show the last page (Sure checking isn't finished in that time).

What's the original size and what size does it have after saving as just English?

I have downloaded it and it has the following characteristics (just to confirm it's the same file).

SIZE: 2,384,896 bytes

CRC32: 44FF4286

MD5: 234EFD764534EEC29B3CD1108082912A

SHA-1: 3E20E6CE0EA0D182722E1C46CEC21DCEA8D68CC5

... but I cannot find any Czech, German or Dutch text parts in it.

Does my system have stripped them somehow?

Right, now, I used the unmodified file you linked to before, but that file has 4 languages in it; besides English it also has a part with polish, German and Dutch in it. Those 3 languages I don't have installed so that would explain why word was so slow opening them as it was looking for the proofing tools or so (close to that, i didn't program the darn thing :lol:). By selecting the whole text and setting the language to English and saving it, reopening the file will take 13 seconds from outside word, and in those 13 seconds it will show the last page (Sure checking isn't finished in that time).

Hi PuntoMX,

Interesting observation. :thumbup I also couldn't find the other languages (and BTW, why don't you have Dutch installed? :o ), but trying what you suggested, I saw what you said. With the newly saved English Only File the page counting (p1 of x)finishes in 20 sec, but the final checking in 110 sec. With the original file both page counting and checking finishes at 105 sec. So only the page counting is faster, but overall time is about the same. The page counting is also now a similar time as for opening without spell and grammer check enabled. (I wonder if this will solve part of JorgeA's problem that he can't work before page counting is finished.)

These checks were on my work computer, therefore the slightly different times than before, but still win7 x86 and Office 2010.

With the original file, the page counting might offer a guide as to what is taking so long (since the two stops at exactly the same time). I observed the following:

60 sec: Page 1 of 97

90 sec: Page 1 of 130

105 sec:Page 1 of 212

110 sec: Page 1 of 519

Note again: More than half the pages is counted (checked?)in last 5 seconds! Why can't the first half also be checked in 5 sec? What is causing the delay?

In this test the time was exactly the same as the English Only version

Still the counting in threes is observed.

Edited by BlouBul

What's the original size and what size does it have after saving as just English?

I have downloaded it and it has the following characteristics (just to confirm it's the same file).

SIZE: 2,384,896 bytes

CRC32: 44FF4286

MD5: 234EFD764534EEC29B3CD1108082912A

SHA-1: 3E20E6CE0EA0D182722E1C46CEC21DCEA8D68CC5

... but I cannot find any Czech, German or Dutch text parts in it.

Does my system have stripped them somehow?

That's the correct file indeed. I was just looking what the spelling and grammar checker was doing and it complained about those languages that could not be found. After selecting all and changing to English only, saving that would give you a bit larger file.

Note again: More than half the pages is counted (checked?)in last 5 seconds! Why can't the first half also be checked in 5 sec? What is causing the delay?

In this test the time was exactly the same as the English Only version

Still the counting in threes is observed.

After saving the "English only" file I don't see the 3 page steps, but on the original file I had that indeed.

If we want to know all the "unknown" we would need to dig into the resources, I don't think it would make life easier. :lol: Norton just digs itself so deep into windows that I presume it's still the main problem here. I wonder if we can/will proof anything. :no:

After saving the "English only" file I don't see the 3 page steps, but on the original file I had that indeed.

If we want to know all the "unknown" we would need to dig into the resources, I don't think it would make life easier. :lol: Norton just digs itself so deep into windows that I presume it's still the main problem here. I wonder if we can/will proof anything. :no:

No, we do not see the 3 page step in the "English only file" as the numbering is quick (but the checking the same time as previous). In the original the checking and page counting runs together so I "assume" (not sure if correctly) that the page counting is an indication of the checking. And neither of us has Norton. Why is JorgeA's computer scanning the file in 26 seconds from outside Word with Norton?and we scan it in over a minute?

But yes, sadly, it might be way above our heads. I just hate to have some "unknown factor" influencing my computer. :}

Edited by BlouBul

Why is JorgeA's computer scanning the file in 26 seconds from outside Word with Norton?and we scan it in over a minute?

Mine does that in 13 seconds; yup, that's right, I can read the last page after 13 seconds (14 to 15 seconds when reading it as a Word 2010 docx), ... but, the animation (pen and book) is still moving (believe me it is, even for Jorge :P).

Mine does that in 13 seconds; yup, that's right, I can read the last page after 13 seconds (14 to 15 seconds when reading it as a Word 2010 docx), ... but, the animation (pen and book) is still moving (believe me it is, even for Jorge :P).

That will make a lot of sense if that is true :yes: . I just assumed (maybe very wrongly :blushing: ) that JorgeA's animation and page counting run together in the fast tests like mine. If the animation is not complete, that will explain a lot of things.

@JorgeA:When you get your fast results, is the animation complete?

Edited by BlouBul

The first 3 test should take about 5 min if the previous results are repeatable (30 sec + 3:30 + 30sec). In the C# file it didn't matter if settings were on or off, it still opened very fast from outside Word. This is just to ensure there is nothing else running and the different times are under the same conditions. So just keep it consistent

The second test should also take less than 5 min (you can save time by creating the new file after opening it in the test above). I think you only need to test it once to see in which group it falls. But if you are too busy, don't worry, there is no haste. Good luck.

BlouBul,

I am back, and more relaxed with a big project out of the way, ready to start moving on this question again.

I performed the tests you had outlined as above. Here are the results of the first series (open the C# file from outside Word, then open my big file from outside Word, and then open the C# file from outside Word again): 0:25, 3:28, 0:27.

Next I created the test file as you requested, and then opened it from outside Word. The loading time was 3:34.

All of these tests were performed with the grammar and spell checks ON.

So nothing seems to have changed, except that I'm no longer getting the little animation at the bottom as the document is loading, even though I turned the two checks back on.

O.K., on to the next step!

--JorgeA

That will make a lot of sense if that is true :yes: . I just assumed (maybe very wrongly :blushing: ) that JorgeA's animation and page counting run together in the fast tests like mine. If the animation is not complete, that will explain a lot of things.

@JorgeA:When you get your fast results, is the animation complete?

BlouBul,

Since I'm no longer getting the animation, I can't test it directly, but IIRC in the slow loadings my animation would stop when Word reached the last page. Even in the fast loadings I don't think that the animation continued after the page counter showed the last page.

If I can figure out how to get the animation back, I'll try this and see what happens.

--JorgeA