Better Softwares for specific situations in Windows 98

pichorra

An old version of Microsoft Office with Microsoft's "Office 2007 compatibility pack".

Office 2007 compatibility pack cannot be installed on 98 even with KernelEx.

Edit: And about PolyEdit - it needs Office 2007 compatibility pack for opening docx, so its not an option for opening docx under Win98.

Ah but apparently the first version of the office 2007 computability pack that did work on 98 only when it got updated did it stop working completely, 

Dencorso was looking for the old version some time ago though.

• 2 weeks later...
Ah but apparently the first version of the office 2007 computability pack that did work on 98 only when it got updated did it stop working completely,

Did you mean this one... :sneaky:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#OFV

OLD MS Office 2000/2002/2003 Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel + PowerPoint 2007 File Formats for Windows 98/98 SE/ME [27 MB, English].

Windows 98/98 SE/ME require KernelEx already installed.

HTH

Well I would say to try XMPlay 3.5.1 ... and put earphones on. I think it delivers the best sound out there. I haven't tried every player but the sound from XMPlay is really good ... with the custom equalizer and the plugins ... very simple to set up. I also recommend K-Meleon 1.5.4 for Win 98SE ... very fast but with KernelEx (latest version) I was able to get the new K-Meleon 1.6 to run on Win 98SE. It's not supposed to run on 98SE. I had help from siria and others at the K-Meleon forum and I also posted a message here relating my experience and links to the K-Meleon site. HTH ...

My K-Meleon 1.6 posting:

http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/8-windows-959898seme/

Edited by duffy98

1)

Opera v9.27 is slow, but works fine and saves temporary files with their original extension (you can find .flv movies from youtube in cache).

Opera v9.6x is faster, but temporary files no longer have extensions.

Opera v10.x is very fast, but very unstable, it crashes even in WinXP.

2)

For audio:

- Winamp v2.91/v2.95 is written for Win9x, low resource usage, many output plugins available:

Wave = low resource usage, high quality sound, but usually sound cards can only play one wave at a time. While Winamp keeps the driver open, no other sound can be played (games, sound alerts, etc.).

DirectX = a bit higher resource usage (CPU, memory), may sound worse than wave, but it has internal mixer for various other sound sources in the system (that's why it may sound worse - resampling when different sound sources have different sample rates).

Kernel streaming = direct output to driver, bypasses windows volume control, mixers, etc. High quality. Depending on sound driver, it may allow other sound sources to play simultaneously or not. Warning: version 3.63 has a GDI resource leak in monitor window. I asked the author for a patch and I received v3.64. It's not on official download site! I seem to be the only one who has it. :D

ASIO = highest quality (if supported by the sound card), no other source can play, larger hardware buffers usually can be set from sound card control panel - less frequent interruptions if another program uses CPU/PCI

For video:

- Media Player Classic works fine in Win9x (original MPC, not Homecinema), better than WMP, but don't use internal filters, not even file sources. They make it crash if the file is corrupted. Install original codecs. I recommend DivX 5.1.1, XviD Koepi's build, AC3 latest version, CoreAAC, CoreFLAC, Matroska/FLV/MP4/OGG splitters from Gabest (others crash), Radlight MPC, and ffdshow for everythig else (disable its codecs that you already have). If you are willing to pay: Elecard MPEG2 has a very nice image quality and CoreAVC (not tested in Win98) is a lot faster than everything else.

For audio CDs:

- Media Player (the old one, inherited from Win3.1, WINDOWS\MPLAYER.EXE) - it shows a progress cursor for the entire CD, not just for current track.

- CD-Text Player - doesn't have a window, only a system tray icon. It shows track names if CD contains CD-Text.

3)

- OpenOffice is very resource hungry. I don't recommend it. Version 2.0.3 works in Win98, I don't know about newer versions.

- MS Office (last version that works in win9x) doesn't support docx and the addon that supposed to add support for newer formats usually shows garbage. There are 3rd party converters but I didn't try them.

I know no other office apps.

2) Audio CDs + music [mp3, flac, ogg, wav, mid, etc]...

- I like foobar (older versions that work with 9x OSes), has lots of options, and supports old versions of add-ons/plug-ins (free) (thanks loblo) for even better customization. There is an ASIO add-on to bypass the software drivers and play directly thru the sound card hardware [if you have an Audigy or Audigy2 (powerful audio processor) it is the best solution], and another which allows 4 channels digital surround from any 2.0 stereo source.

- A simple but effective app to play strictly audio CDs is Deluxe CD Player: more info here.

- To play 5.1 surround audio like ac3, dts, mka, ts, I like MPC (Media Player Classic), because it is easy to set up if you have your sound card [for example SB Audigy/Audigy2/Live! 5.1] connected thru a digital coaxial/optical cable to a DD5.1/DTS stereo/amp + speakers system.

This MPC setup can also play movies/video, TV/HDTV, DVDs/Blu-Rays, etc in 5.1 surround sound, pure digital.

HTH

Did you mean this one... :sneaky:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#OFV

OLD MS Office 2000/2002/2003 Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel + PowerPoint 2007 File Formats for Windows 98/98 SE/ME [27 MB, English].

Windows 98/98 SE/ME require KernelEx already installed.

HTH

@MDGX, I can't get the file you're pointing to to work, at least not with KernelEx 4.5 RC 4. I modified the file with Orca and it installs, but it just doesn't function. Am I missing something?

Edited by Steven W

@MDGX, I can't get the file you're pointing to to work, at least not with KernelEx 4.5 RC 4. I modified the file with Orca and it installs, but it just doesn't function. Am I missing something?
Looks like I had incorrect info. ;(

Somebody sent me the tip that this older version of Office Converters works with 98/ME OSes. [?]

I guess not, so I'll remove it from my web site.

Thanks for checking.