VFAT device init failed

TmEE

So I installed AutoCAD 2002 on my 98SE box (KEX, RP9, AutoPatcher etc. etc. etc.) and after install it asked to reboot. so I did and I was greeted with the lovely "VFAT device initialization failed" message.

So I booted in safe mode which luckily worked and uninstalled the program and deleted leftover files. Rebooted, and error still present.

I checked autoexec.bat and other startup files and found nothing suspicious...

I'd rather not install windows again, but if its the only options it will get used.

So I installed AutoCAD 2002 on my 98SE box (KEX, RP9, AutoPatcher etc. etc. etc.) and after install it asked to reboot. so I did and I was greeted with the lovely "VFAT device initialization failed" message.

So I booted in safe mode which luckily worked and uninstalled the program and deleted leftover files. Rebooted, and error still present.

I checked autoexec.bat and other startup files and found nothing suspicious...

I'd rather not install windows again, but if its the only options it will get used.

Your Registry may be too large.

Try my RAM Limitation Patch Demo using the /M Option to see if it helps.

The registry file was ~12Mbytes in size, at one point I even tried to use a 9Mbyte registry file from a semi-recent backup but that did not work out (I have forgotten if I got VFAT error or not, I did get some other errors due to missing files).

Anyway its (almost) too late now, I have fresh install in the works. I do have all of the old install left but I don't think i'll be experimenting any further with it, and I had other issues anyway.

This time i'll make a "snapshot" of a fully set up install, so when some similiar issue happens, i'll restore the system from the said snapshot ^^

Before you reinstall, Tmee, do try the RAM Limitation Patch with the /M option. You've got nothing to loose in installing the demo. And do read the original thread about your issue: Puzzling Registry Size Issue. After reading the first post you may want to jump to the solution, which is in post #63, although the full thread is very interesting and instructive.

I guess I'll do some directory juggling and have my old install boot instead of the new one and toy around with registy and the RAM limitation patch a bit. I don't intend to resurrect the old install (I have it around to get me some settings etc. from it to minimize time it takes to configure my stuff), as I was planning to do a reinstall anyway but had no excuse to do it :P

EDIT: I'm also running a great deal of DOS programs daily, which on many are written by myself... I guess the patch won't interfere with that ?

Edited by TmEE

So when my new setup went completely berzerk (probably thanks to KEX 3.5 RC3, as it is when all the trouble started...) I thought I'd try to resurrect my old setup... so I used the PATCHM /M on startup and while I did not get VFAT init error, I did get lot of Fatal Exception 0D errors in VMM.VXD(at least so I recall for some of the errors, I know there was something else too...) :crazy:

At one point I even thought I had faulty RAM as I got errors on one exact same address in my new install, so I juggled RAMs around etc. which did not work... :}

Right now i'm moving my data to one other HDD and I'll be using one blank HDD to create a new install, then once its done i'll copy the install on my good HDD and keep old HDD as a snapshot of good working and set up install... so in case I get crap happen again i'll restore things from the snapshot HDD... :yes:

:huh:

:blink:

:wacko:

:(

Sorry to hear it. It seems your OS got really messed up. So the full reinstall seems unavoidable. :(

And, yes, the best policy is to keep a fully working image, to which you can fall back when things get ugly. I keep a library of dated images in an external USB HDD, and burn the best of them to Dual-Layer DVDs, just to keep on the safe side. You may call me paranoid... but I do hate to reinstall from scratch. :D