WPI not picking up after {reboot}

I have a couple of installations that require a reboot before a patch is applied. My main example is my Oracle Discoverer installation.

What I want

Install the application, issue a reboot via WPI, it reboots and installs the patch.

What Happens

Install the application, issue a reboot via WPI, machine reboots and does not install the patch and WPI errors out.

WPI loads, and I get the following error and I'm asked if I want to debug it or not.

Error

A Runtime Error has occured.

Do you wish to Debug?

Line: 1

Error: Invalid character

After that error this one shows up

Error

A Runtime Error has occurred.

Do you wish to Debug?

Line: 490

Error: 'programs[...].cat' is null or not an object

opening the debugger shows line 490.

CurrentCategory-programs[CurrentInstall].cat

This same behavior happens with any item I add a {reboot} to, no matter where in the install chain it is.

So, how do I fix this?

if you have windows vista you should make sure it runs as administrator after reboot

a solution would be to have it disable UAC at first run! then enable UAC after all is done and over!

you can disable & enable UAC using registry

enabled & disable reg file has been attached!

if you would like a way to run it as administrator on first boot lemme know i will hook you up

dk if this is your problem! but seems to be similar error that i use to have when i tried this on vista the first time!!

DisableUAC.reg

EnableUAC.reg

• 1 month later...

The CurrentInstall value on that line is set in a reg key under Current_User. If after the reboot, are you coming back as the same user? As in: I started the install process as Admin, created a user, installed some stuff, reboot, logged in as the new user.

I use every time the same User!

I get this error after the secound restart. (last one!) My Fix ... delete GuiRunOneEx key delete :-> if you need i can send logs. (Sys WinXP with all Updates/Patches)

Edited by WosWasI