Slipstreaming R2 update to Windows 2003

• 1 month later...

HfSlip is designed for Win 2k-Xp-2k3 and, at least for W2k, it integrates the R1 very naturally. Did you have a look?

With W2k at least, the SP and Rollup are designed to integrate themselves onto the Cd. I strongly hope the R2 for W2k3 does it as well. Did you try?

This involves:

- Copy the install Cd on a hard disk;

- Run the Sp or the Rollup with the adequate option (search keyword "Slipstream") on this copy;

- Create the improve install Cd from the Hdd, including a boot sector.

Or run the installation from an old hard disk drive, booting from diskettes. Even a 5400rpm is much faster than a Cd.

Sorry if there's something special about W2k3 or its R2, I'm extrapolating here.

R2 has additional "goodies" (e.g. ADAM) and uses a different type of key to allow them to install. This is somewhat similar to the XP vs Media/Tablet PC where the CD1 is the "standard" and CD2 is the "additional" (installed by using the appropriate "not-standard" key).

Admittedly, this is a rather "loose" explanation. You need the R2 Product Key to get the additional "goodies", otherwise the CD1 is just a vanilla 2K3-SP2. No such thing as "slipstreaming R2", as it's the CD2 contents.

To prove this (I already did), just slipstream the SP2 into the 2K3 and then compare the results against the R2-CD1 contents; very few differences (those "special files" and certain expanded/replaced files).

In my case, I just got the CD1 from MS and swapped in the "special files" (my "flavor")from my original to have a "pre-slipped" SP2. I have no need for the CD2 "goodies" (even though I have that "special R2 key") so I don't use it.

HTH

edit - Oops - meant SP1 integrated (see next post); there is also an SP2 I believe...

Edited by submix8c