TCP/IP Networking DSL to Cable change

Hi,

I recently switched my office network from from DSL to Cable, so now I have the cable comming from the street to the cable modem, on the modem I have 2 switches connected one is linksys & the other one is netgear. From there it goes to the patch panel rack that then goes to all the jacks withing the office.

Now my questions is, when I was on DSL all the ip addresse were within the 192.168.1.1 range but now that I switched it to cable all my addresses are withing the 10.1.28.1,200 & so on -- All I did was grab the 2 wires coming from the linksys & netgear switches that were connected to the DSL modem & connected them to the Cable modem. I do have internet & everything is working fine but my understanding was that for private networks when you connect a switch or router to the modem it would lease addresses under the 192.168.1.1 range. Any specific reason why its all withing the 10.1.28.1 range?

is it because it's now the private network behind the switches is leasing on the 10.1.'s?, I thought the switches would lease within the 192.168's? I've set up wireless routers at homes & I've always seen them leasing withing the 192.168.'s

any help will be appreciated & thanks!!!!

DSL modems connected in Bridge Mode or other such dumb DSL modems may use a 10.x.x.x IP for the interface. For example, I am on Verizon and they assign a 10.x.x.x onto my Router. Basically it doesn't matter what your IP ends up, as long as you can access the internet and share your files.