PS/2--USB converter detection issue

drixomanbeta

Hi,

To Make a long story short: My USB mouse is not getting detected after windows load..

I use a PS/2 keyboard which have a scissor-key feel that I couldn't find elsewhere so I bought a paired PS/2 to USB converter, but the thing is my laptop only has 3 usb port and I don't want to use a usb hub and I only have usb mouse. I don't want to waste a usb port just for my mouse so I bought a USB to ps/2 converter and connected it to the other ps/2 port on the paired converter.

For some reason the mouse is not working after each booting and need to be manually replugged to work, while my keyboard works fine without any involvement. Is it because I chained too many converter for the mouse or something?

Thanks for any help in advance.

1) What do you mean by "scissor-key feel"?

2) Why don't you want to use a hub, but then put up with tandem converters happily?

Connecting your keyboard through the converter to a USB hub, and your mouse to the same hub would still use just one USB port and should work even if you use a USB 1.1 hub (which is worth less than US$1)... see: a good keyboard cannot comunicate at more than 0.5 kiB/s and the best mouse won't do more than 10 kiB/s (probably less than half that), while USB 1.1 allows for 1.5 MiB/s, so it's way good enough for this use.

1) What do you mean by "scissor-key feel"?

2) Why don't you want to use a hub, but then put up with tandem converters happily?

Connecting your keyboard through the converter to a USB hub, and your mouse to the same hub would still use just one USB port and should work even if you use a USB 1.1 hub (which is worth less than US$1)... see: a good keyboard cannot comunicate at more than 0.5 kiB/s and the best mouse won't do more than 10 kiB/s (probably less than half that), while USB 1.1 allows for 1.5 MiB/s, so it's way good enough for this use.

I know but I don't have a hub at the moment to me it make sense that I can chain-connect a usb mouse into a ps/2 port with a one-way converter that connect to a ps/2->usb converter, and it works except for when it's booting; the mouse just lose power or something but the keyboard goes unaffected. I have to hot-plug the mouse to get it work again and I didn't expect that.