Windows Media Player 11 Codec Packs

Hi well there is no such thing as a good codec pack they install many codecs that do the same thing and can cause problems,like a 20 meg codec pack has a huge amount of codecs in it. If you install the ac3 filter and the xvid codec it should play most everything. By installing these 2 codecs it allows all windows programs to use them power dvd for example you can get them here free-codecs.com for the xvid one use Koepi's XviD Codec its the better one.

Hi well there is no such thing as a good codec pack

I beg to differ.

they install many codecs that do the same thing and can cause problems

Could do the same thing, sure. It's all about the configuration.

If you install the ac3 filter and the xvid codec it should play most everything

Hardly. It won't play any H.264 file, nothing with DTS sound, won't show subitles, won't play any MKV or MP4 file, on most editions of Windows that wouldn't be enough to play DVDs (still no MPEG2 decoder), etc. In fact, that probably wouldn't play half of my stuff.

for the xvid one use Koepi's XviD Codec its the better one

For decoding MPEG4 ASP (such as XviD and DivX) ffdshow tryouts is FAR better than XviD. XviD is good for encoding, if you're still encoding in that old format.

Oh i was going by he had a dvd player program that does all the dts mine does, xvid and ac3 filter are only for those types of movies really and will play most avi's. Gspot is a good free program to check and see if you have the right codec and what one you need. So what is your choice for a good codec pack hehe ill give it a look.I use the new power dvd 10 nice change in it is it uses cpu and gpu so the better video card the better the performance.

Edited by John305

a dvd player program that does all the dts mine does

That totally depends on which player, which version of it (and often what particular codecs are licensed in a specific edition), and even in which player one attempts to play it (I've seen some of those codecs installed by DVD player apps that checked the executable's name and would work or not depending). There's a LOT of factors :)

So what is your choice for a good codec pack

That depends on the OS one is running and some other factors, like the media player used and hardware (including GPU). A lot of decent players (MPC or VLC namely) already support most stuff out of the box. Some codec packs play better with certain versions of Windows, and some players don't need quite as many codecs to play most files (or for things like subtitles).

I use the new power dvd 10 nice change in it is it uses cpu and gpu so the better video card the better the performance

I used to use PowerDVD but I don't see a point anymore (too many problems, too little options, too pricey for nothing). Just like I don't use CoreAVC anymore (there's better options out there for free). MPC HC will happily decode 1080p H.264 @ 10mbit with like 1% CPU usage (profile 4.1 obviously, and the vid card must support that of course) but that's old news ;) Even VLC is getting that with v1.1 (late to the party for sure, but VLC is nicer in other departments).

Personally I use MPC HC to play the vast majority of my files. But I override a fair amount of the settings manually (including the internal codecs) so files play using the codecs I want (like ffdshow for the great decoding options and such). I normally use the EVR renderer (not available on XP obviously). Ideally I'd install and configure every single codec I need (ffdshow tryouts, haali & gabest, ac3filter, directvobsub, etc) by hand by lazyness often wins.

Anyway. There are some fairly decent codec packs out there... and some that suck too (I remember trying that really awful Nimo codec pack back in the early 2000's -- now THAT sucked)

Hi CoffeeFiend good reply ty i have tried MPC HC 64 bit very nice picture audio im not sure of, playing a bought dvd dvd while its playing i select navigate then audio language and it tells me its useing ac3 48000hz 16 bits 2 channels this is at the start for the ads once the movie starts it changes but only the speaker out put which goes to 6 channels still 16 bits though. If i right click on the screen and choose audio then options it tells me the speaker configuration 2 channels with only front left and front right. my hardware is a audigy 4 pro with the front panel and a set of logitech z5500 speakers. When played in power dvd it gives me 6 ch direct but the movie picture itself is better than power dvd i just dont see why its useing ac3 to play a bought dvd the dvd is dolby dts even if i change the speaker configuration to 6 it auto returns to 2. When i play it in power dvd it tells me its playing the audio = dolby digital 5.1 448 kbps also when power dvd is playing it the voice is generally the center speaker with MPC HC the voice is from every speaker so is not 5.1 direct sound, as the same sound comes out from all the speakers.Is there a way to set it up to use 5.1.I have the output from the audigy set to 24 bit 96000 hz.

• 5 months later...