Windows 2000 Pro Update Question ...

I have decided to try Windows 2000 Pro on one of my computers. I have Windows 2000 Pro SP4 installed. I was just wondering if there was ever an "Unofficial" Windows 2000 update package made with all the updates after SP4 like there is for Windows 98SE? I have tried going to the Windows Update page but I keep getting an error. I have not been able to find an update package after the SP4 update. I'd like to download all the updates for Windows 2000 and burn them to a CD for the future. I know there are more updates since the Belarc Advisor is saying that I am missing quite a few updates. Thanks ...

Sp0iLedBrAt ... thanks for the info. I will check those links out. I did figure out my Windows Update problem ... I had to update IE 5 to IE 6 and I am downloading the updates now.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the pointers to lists, SpoiledB ! My problem however, I have a non-English language Win 2k installation media to start with (slipstreamed with SP4). If I were to reinstall in the future, I'd have to start with a fresh French SP4 (incl. IE5, I think)... How can I establish a list of needed updates, similar to those in cited refs, and then collect them from MS while they're available for local archival ? I guess the first thing is getting a French IE6 SP1, right ? I assume I need this one before installing other updates, though I wouldn't use IE anymore.

Could you or somebody else enlighten me while it's time still ! THX

--

Ninho

How can I establish a list of needed updates, similar to those in cited refs, and then collect them from MS while they're available for local archival ?

Use the list,

1. The links lead to the MS-pages with updates for 'English'.
  2. On the MS-page, look for the drop box with the language.
  3. Select your language, then click the button labeled 'change'.
  4. Now you will be presented with the update in your language.

Unfortunately, you have to repeat these steps for every update.

But at least, you can find the updates in your language this way.

And if you need to know about IE on W2k, don't forget to check out this info: Vorck's Windows 2000 Repository

this info is priceless and Vorck is the greatest!

Good luck.

Eveline

Edited by ebernard

Use the list,

1. The links lead to the MS-pages with updates for 'English'.
  2. On the MS-page, look for the drop box with the language.
  3. Select your language, then click the button labeled 'change'.
  4. Now you will be presented with the update in your language.

Unfortunately, you have to repeat these steps for every update.

But at least, you can find the updates in your language this way.

Merci beaucoup, Eveline! Seems doable if tedious, I'll try my best

- sadly with the wife being terminally ill, not sure I'll find the

required amount of patience and free time.

And if you need to know about IE on W2k, don't forget to check out this info: Vorck's Windows 2000 Repository

this info is priceless and Vorck is the greatest!

Oh agreed, I recall visiting his good site in the past.

• 1 month later...

The unofficial Sp5 is a very nice attempt, but be careful that...

- It's English only

- It contains MANY functional updates Microsoft didn't release for general use

And according to my trials, these updates ARE bugged. Microsoft tells "not fully tested, use ONLY if you must correct the problem described" and this is what you should do, because these updates really bring trouble to W2k.

The ones I tried were for Usb, and some of them may hang the computer or provoke a Bsod just because you unplug a Usb (I made a report with updates list about Usb somewhere on this forum). So in order to save a lot of time, better keep off the unreleased updates.