Saving in Notepad

knepp

Is there a way to change the default setting in notepad from .txt to All Files when opening and saving files? I use note pad all the time were I work, so it gets frustrating that I have to constantly select All Files when saving files. HELP

I'm using WinXP Pro SP3.

Is there a way to change the default setting in notepad from .txt to All Files when opening and saving files? I use note pad all the time were I work, so it gets frustrating that I have to constantly select All Files when saving files. HELP

I'm using WinXP Pro SP3.

What forum do I need to post in to get an answer.

just use quotes around the name and it will ignore the "save as type" field.

i.e. open notepad, save as, "test.doc" (while leaving save as type set to txt)

--it will result with a file named test.doc, associated to word most likely (.txt will have been ignored)

I wonder if this also works with Scite, which always wants to save files as AU3 extension. I use it as a multipurpose editor (for PHP and ASP also) so its annoying when I sometimes forget to change the type.

Scite is based on config files which you can modify. Start Scite and open the "Option" menu. Select "Open User Options File" from the menu. Once the SciteUser.properties tab opens, then add the below line at the top of the page.

save.filter=$(filter.*) $(open.filter)

Now save and then restart Scite for the new setting to be active. You should now have "All Source" option as default when using Save As.

Yeah Scite already has the All Source option. When you save under this option, it makes extension AU3. If you choose the drop down to all files, it does not make an extension by default. I understand why it does this, since Scite is designed to be used for AutoIT. I only use it at work because I do not have extra licenses to use UltraEdit, which I use at home.

Yeah Scite already has the All Source option. When you save under this option, it makes extension AU3.

Well, I get .e extension or .asp depending on machine/OS/Scite used. All Source is an odd option IMHO. The source.files property has numerous extensions so how it picks a correct one is beyond my understanding at the moment.

If you choose the drop down to all files, it does not make an extension by default.

I would expect no extension so I regard as normal. I can get a can not save "test.*" for some odd reason on a Scite for some reason which is odd though Scite4AutoIt3 has been hacked with the extension saving method so I am not confident that it has been done correct. Now, I am not sure if the property change I gave earlier is good as it appears to be a custom property perhaps added with the extension patching on Scite4AutoIt3.

I understand why it does this, since Scite is designed to be used for AutoIT.

Yeah, I think you assume correct for Scite4AutoIt3. Scite references made in this thread are about Scite4AutoIt3 to my understanding.

I only use it at work because I do not have extra licenses to use UltraEdit, which I use at home.

That sounds sad as it seems you prefer UltraEdit. Perhaps you can make it a mobile copy? If not (as against their unreasonable restrictions), then I would not support UltraEdit if I could only use it sometimes.

In general, many applications handle extensions different, so I choose to add extension manually if I use these save dialogs. Something that can go wrong is if the application doubles up on the extension but only a few applications have ever done this to me. I use the right click method most.

@iamtheky

Thanks for the use quotes idea.

You are right. I used regular Scite on my old computer but this one only uses Scite4AutoIT. I prefer UltraEdit only because it also can do Hex and has better/more color coding options. Like how UltraEdit has a color code for PHP but Scite does not, or at least not in the default install. Either one are fine because they have line numbers. At least Scite can do beta/build/compile/run for AU3 files.

No I don't think I can make a portable UltraEdit. They have a 30day Trial but the one I have at home is registered. While UltraEdit is really cool, I can't see the reason why I would buy more licenses for it to use it everywhere. Scite will have to do on my other PCs.

I learned about it much later?

I've been using UltraEdit since... (sorry i need to look at the install date) ... 2003? Was Notepad++ around then? I think I started using UltraEdit because some guy I worked with once used it too. Man that was a long time ago!

I've been using UltraEdit since... (sorry i need to look at the install date) ... 2003? Was Notepad++ around then?

I used to use UltraEdit back then too. It was a fairly good text editor and pretty good hex editor -- a hard to beat combo. But they screwed up a lot of things in the latest versions IMO, even in the hex editing department (searching for unicode strings is now a real PITA; also it even defaults to a "hex" search in text files...). I'm less and less impressed with every new release of UltraEdit that comes out. It does a lot of things but none of them particularly well, and in most cases there's better alternatives, and often for free (e.g. notepad++ for text, winmerge for comparing/merging, etc). I've made the switch to Notepad++ a while ago as my main text editor and never looked back.

Edit: Notepad++'s first release was in 2003. And yes, it has line numbers. It has syntax highlighting for a large number of languages too (C/C++C/C#/Java/ASP/PHP/CSS/HTML/Perl/VB*/Javscript/AutoIt/Powershell/etc), including auto-completion, code folding and all that. It's not quite like VS but it's still pretty nice -- especially compared to some IDEs for embedded platforms (imagecraft 6 *shudder*)

Notepad++ is exactly what Windows' built-in notepad should be IMO, but then you'd have other companies screaming "absuse of monopoly!" if they ever did that (it would kill their business model of selling "just OK" text editors)... This is why we can't have nice things.