ISO Size not more then 4 GB?

crunch81

Maybe I put this in the wrong section, for that I apologize.

This sounds like a weird question but for me very important to get a serious answer.

I Vlited Vista Premium and total size is 2.3 GB, I also want to put my WPI program on it, that is also 2.3 GB. A iso cannot be bigger then 4.0 GB or else it will not boot up when I install it.

My question is: Can I make the total size bigger then 4.0 GB and do something with it that it will boot and install everything? And if not: What is the reason that it will not boot from an ISO bigger then 4.0 GB?

Thanks very much.

Edited by crunch81

You are Slighlty mistaken..

The 4gig limit is not ISO size it is .wim size. You can have your iso at the size you said and you'll be just fine :)

Thanks for making my point clear. but..... Why does my system not boot when my ISO is more then 3.99999GB? It just hangs in a black screen. When I make my ISO smaller then it boots up normal? (And my WPI is 2.8 GB and the rest is OS files)

Thanks again.

Sounds more like an issue with the drive or the system (are you using an ISO, or are we talking about an actual DVD disc?), or maybe even just a vLite problem.  I have WIM files over 10GB on a USB key and all of my systems seem to boot from and use said WIM files just fine. I have ISOs that I use in Hyper-V that are larger than 4GB, containing WIM files larger than 4GB, and those boot/install just fine as well.

Sounds more like an issue with the drive or the system (are you using an ISO, or are we talking about an actual DVD disc?), or maybe even just a vLite problem.  I have WIM files over 10GB on a USB key and all of my systems seem to boot from and use said WIM files just fine. I have ISOs that I use in Hyper-V that are larger than 4GB, containing WIM files larger than 4GB, and those boot/install just fine as well.

Ok, thanks for the info....It seems that my problem lies somewhere else.

It is an Iso file in virtual PC that I am testing btw.

• 3 weeks later...