.wim disk format as Archival Purposes

gendouhydeist

well what I did is that I've put all my adobe installers onto wim from 6.70GB to 3.39GB at maximum compression. I really like how wim works, instead of mounting it an ISO to Virtual Drive, why not just mount it on a folder.. also wim format are modifiable when mounted.. This of archive has a lot of advantages, having able to compress, mount, modify and fast at reading files... and that's why for me its a must have features for an archive.

The only disadvantage is compressing a 6.70GB 52,000 Files takes about 40 minutes on Athlon 64 X2 and 1GB 800Mhz DDR2 RAM and also I haven't test it yet on XP since it needs wimfltr in order to work..

The only disadvantage is compressing a 6.70GB 52,000 Files takes about 40 minutes on Athlon 64 X2 and 1GB 800Mhz DDR2 RAM and also I haven't test it yet on XP since it needs wimfltr in order to work..

Just in case:

1. A small tool for XP:
    http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9765
  2. 7-zip can access (read only) .wim's

jaclaz

I can't download your batch files for some reasons...

here's what it said

Sorry, some required files are missing, if you intended to view a topic, it's possible that it's been moved or deleted. Please go back and try again.

But I've never knew it exist thanks for the info man...

all i need to do is to put the 3 required files right??? thats it... everything will do by the batch file

At least they should. ;)

Of course they are to be used in a logical order:

1. first you install the drivers (install.inf or w_install.cmd)
  2. second you create/mount the .wim (w_create.cmd/w_mount.cmd)
  3. third when you have finished with the .wim you unmount it (w_unmount.cmd)
  4. fourth, optionally, you uninstall the drivers (w_uninstall.cmd)

As stated there, there is no help, you'll have to do some experiments, but if you run the batches without parameters, a minimal "syntax" is given, example:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9658&st=42

I believe the earlier WIM related whitepapers spoke of using this format for archival purposes. Somehow now people only use it for Windows! Its a great system because of how it indexes files. Its basically an incremental zip file.

Of course you don't have any version control, and easy to replace a file by accident. Limited features provided by Imagex or DISM, I wonder if there are any tools from before Microsoft took it over?

Of course you don't have any version control, and easy to replace a file by accident. Limited features provided by Imagex or DISM, I wonder if there are any tools from before Microsoft took it over?

What do you mean "before MS took it over"? :unsure:

Some research was done at the time of this project (now abandoned):

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5308&hl=

jaclaz

What do you mean "before MS took it over"? :unsure:

Some research was done at the time of this project (now abandoned):

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5308&hl=

jaclaz

I remember finding a draft about the WIM format awhile back and it wasn't a Microsoft document. I'll try searching for it tomorrow, I might still have it.

I remember finding a draft about the WIM format awhile back and it wasn't a Microsoft document. I'll try searching for it tomorrow, I might still have it.

It would be a very good finding, even small pieces are important to put the puzzle together. :)

jaclaz

Read something about that wim some time ago before I seen it in MS stuff but too many projects since.

Jaclaz

So it is alright to use these WimCaptEx say for instance along with my application? I been looking over there at Boot land to see if there are any restrictions. I'd like to test them.

Read something about that wim some time ago before I seen it in MS stuff but too many projects since.

Not exactly useful, but thanks anyway.

Jaclaz

So it is alright to use these WimCaptEx say for instance along with my application? I been looking over there at Boot land to see if there are any restrictions. I'd like to test them.

You want to test the restrictions? :w00t:;)

AFAIK there are none, but PMing Peter (psc) and ask him directly, or better post in the related thread:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9658

won't make any harm.

If you want to copy/use/modify/extract info/peruse anything from the small batches or .inf, you are of course welcome. :)

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz