Problem with shrinking image 64 bit. GimageX

I want to shrink an Image Install.wim of a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit version.

The total size is 2.7 GB, it is to big for me because I want to install applications.

Is it correct that GimageX can't shrink the images? And if not, What do I have to do to shrink it?

Are there other programs who can shrink it for me?

Thanks for any reply's.

Edited by crunch81

See the commands in this thread:

Thank you, I read the topic. But I am using GimageX (GUI) it's a little easier for me.

So I first have to capture? And then export en compress to maximum? Will that save a lot of space?

And is it correct that the image will shrink only 200 mb max?

Thanks again.

Edited by crunch81

See the commands in this thread:

Thank you, I read the topic. But I am using GimageX (GUI) it's a little easier for me.

So I first have to capture? And then export en compress to maximum? Will that save a lot of space?

Thanks again.

Yes there is not a lot gained from compression is it only one image in your install.wim you can remove other versions also that does help have a look at Se7en_UA on the stickies it can remove other images compress and do unattended install with applications.

Thanks again.

1 Image Ultimate

Before 2.66 GB (2,860,843,008 bytes)

After 2.57 GB (2,760,249,344 bytes)

The other images reduce it more

Edited by maxXPsoft

Thanks again.

1 Image Ultimate

Before 2.66 GB (2,860,843,008 bytes)

After 2.57 GB (2,760,249,344 bytes)

The other images reduce it more

Thanks people for the info! Now I know I don't have to look any further.

Good day,

Info: Windows 7, 64-bit operating system.

My Install.wim file is 2.9GB (64-bit), It is to large. I tried already with GimageX and removed the other operating systems.

I found out, with the help of forum members, that the size will not decrease much.

I tried to delete Japanese (400 mb) and Chinese (390 mb) with Vlite and then go back to 7Customizer and do the rest. Everytime there are other errors and it does not work.

I have read alot on the forum and everybody who works with DISM can delete content but it doesn't decrease WIM files size. When I delete with Vlite, it will decrease.

Is there an easy way to modify Install.WIM and delete unnessacery Languages like Chinese and Japanese? Vlite and 7Customizer just won't work together.

Thanks!

IIRC, removing components with DISM only removes those entries from the master index. It does not actually delete those items, but they won't be installed. In order to get those unused peices out, you need to export the WIM. DISM with then rebuild the WIM using only the files in the index, which should reduce the size.

IIRC, removing components with DISM only removes those entries from the master index. It does not actually delete those items, but they won't be installed. In order to get those unused peices out, you need to export the WIM. DISM with then rebuild the WIM using only the files in the index, which should reduce the size.

Thanks for the reply.

And how do I do that?

Ah ha, I posted the answer in your other thread. So speaking of which, I am merging the 2 topics.

I do not know how to do this with the GImageX implementation you are using. See the DISM commands in Post #2 of this new merged thread.

Edited by Tripredacus
merged topics

• 1 year later...

Wouldn't you need to mount the install.wim image first? then take out all parts/languages you don't need would that shrink the size? John :hello:

I usually remove the languages and other components with vlite and then reduce the size of my wim with gimagex (Export Tab). It can be easily done and that too within mins. In most of the cases you can reduce your wim size by 10%.