WPA.DBL backup activation method problem

IrnBruKid

Hi,

I backed up my wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files on my old PC running XP Pro and reinstalled XP. After the install had finished I booted to safe mode and copied the wpa files back into the system32 folder after renaming the wpa.dbl there to wpa.dblold. After rebooting the PC I was still prompted to activate Windows. There were no hardware changes at all and it was the exact same pc I got the wpa files from. Have I done somthing wrong or does this method no longer work? Hopefully someone out there can help me with my problem.

Many thanks in advance

IrnBruKid

@Ponch

No, it used to work for re-install also.

I seem to remember one of the SP made it invalid, SP2 I think. but I am not sure at all. :unsure:

@IrnBruKid

Did you follow this one to the letter?

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/12/14/b...activate-again/

More info on WPA:

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

it is possible that the use of a different Volume number (please read as "format") "triggered" the reactivation.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

@jaclaz

Yes that was the exact guide I used, I followed the instructions exactly. Also thanks for the other link on WPA activation I'll take a look at it later tonight or tomorrow when I have some free time on my hands. I have a drive image backup of the pc when it was activated so not all is lost if I can't get it reactivated, the only problem with the drive image is that the system runs extremely slow hence the reason I attempted the reinstall.

Many Thanks,

IrnBruKid

@Ponch

No, it used to work for re-install also

So it doesn't, does it ? :rolleyes:

Mainly reinstalling without formatting is done using Repair, unless you delete all system files on the partition then start installation. Very few people do that. Cheers.

I have a drive image backup of the pc when it was activated so not all is lost if I can't get it reactivated, ...

Yes, if the problem is the volume serial, you can get the old one from the image.

Mainly reinstalling without formatting is done using Repair, unless you delete all system files on the partition then start installation. Very few people do that.

Even less people, including yours truly ;), have the habit of saving the MBR and ALL PBR's.

A strategy, that at the cost of a handful of wasted space in backups (a MBR+ 5 PBR - one for each partition on my "standard machines") compress to a whopping 1,800÷2,400 bytes .zip archive, has proved on the long run to be pretty much useful:

"Better safe than sorry" B)

:hello:

jaclaz