NLite stopped working on Locating Windows Installation - SOLVED

DzigiBau

My suggestion is not to stop your work while we try to figure out what could be wrong with nLite. You can still integrate SP3 manually, add SATA drivers with DriverPacks and use a WINNT.SIF file to make it unattended (you said that's all you used nLite for, so all those procedures can also be done without it). For help on this suggestion, check put the other sub-forums for help with unattended and drivers.

Cheers

My suggestion is not to stop your work while we try to figure out what could be wrong with nLite. You can still integrate SP3 manually, add SATA drivers with DriverPacks and use a WINNT.SIF file to make it unattended (you said that's all you used nLite for, so all those procedures can also be done without it). For help on this suggestion, check put the other sub-forums for help with unattended and drivers.

Cheers

Yup, I can do that.

Altghough I used NLite on my previous machine and kinda like it. It is a good software, after all.

Thank you once again for spending your time with me.

If you come to something, please give me direction.

DzigiBau, I don't think you are seeing an nLite problem. I suspect the problem lies with the source (OK, nLite could report better) or some yet unknown source. Here's some requests:

1. Post a screen shot of your CD, as requested.
  2. Post a screen shot of the nLite page when hung.
  3. Manually copy the CD files/folders to a new folder, check System Log for errors then run nLite.
  4. Remove .NET, reinstall then go to Windows Update and add the latest updates.

- I have Net Framework 2, SP2, working, since there are software like ATI Catalyst which needs that and works properly.
I don't think this precludes a possible .NET problem. Some more questions:
  1. Have you every nLited this CD before?
  2. Are any of your HDDs on a network?
  3. Have you checked the MD5 of your nLite DL?

One other thing to try is to remove all the extraneous folders from your CD folder, then run nLite. We will suggest the folders when we see the screen shot of the CD. Let us hear. Enjoy, John.

DzigiBau, I don't think you are seeing an nLite problem. I suspect the problem lies with the source (OK, nLite could report better) or some yet unknown source. Here's some requests:
  1. Post a screen shot of your CD, as requested.
  2. Post a screen shot of the nLite page when hung.
  3. Manually copy the CD files/folders to a new folder, check System Log for errors then run nLite.
  4. Remove .NET, reinstall then go to Windows Update and add the latest updates.

- I have Net Framework 2, SP2, working, since there are software like ATI Catalyst which needs that and works properly.
I don't think this precludes a possible .NET problem. Some more questions:
  1. Have you every nLited this CD before?
  2. Are any of your HDDs on a network?
  3. Have you checked the MD5 of your nLite DL?

One other thing to try is to remove all the extraneous folders from your CD folder, then run nLite. We will suggest the folders when we see the screen shot of the CD. Let us hear. Enjoy, John.

Here are requested details.

1. Snapshot of the Windows copied folder, I wanted to use with NLite.

99445265.jpg

As you can see, all files from CD are there.

2. This is snapshot of NLite phase where it stops working.

54769369.jpg

That happens after NLite copied Windows files to my folder c:\Ncd

3. I tried coping Windows files manually, peace of cake, but NLite stopped on the same point.

4. I reinstalled NetFramework, using the uninstall tool dotnetfx cleanup to remove it and installed brand new fresh NetFramework 3.5. :thumbup

Result is the same, NLite stopped on the same point, Looking the Windows Installation.

5. Yes, I used NLite and was very satisfied on my previous machine. That means I am very familiar with all procedures and I like NLite a lot. This weird situation makes me crazy. It start happening on my new machine, very powerfull one, with Windows XP SP3 inside.

Yes, I checked MD5 of the NLite and I tried downloading the installation from several net places. Everytime I checked MD5, it is NLite installation.

No, my drives are not part of any network since this machine is not conneceted to any network.

I hope now, it is more clear to you.

Anyway, I would like to thank you for your patience and efforts. We shall find solution, I am sure.

Edited by DzigiBau

DzigiBau, thanks for all the information. Right now, the only thing I can suggest is to remove the cmpnents, VALUEADD, SUPPORT and DOCS folders and run nLite again. You can just drag and drop them into another folder so they are available later. Did you check the System Log after copying the CD? OK? Have you told us what version of Windows you are running. I am sorry if I missed it, but please let us know. Enjoy, John.

DzigiBau, thanks for all the information. Right now, the only thing I can suggest is to remove the cmpnents, VALUEADD, SUPPORT and DOCS folders and run nLite again. You can just drag and drop them into another folder so they are available later. Did you check the System Log after copying the CD? OK? Have you told us what version of Windows you are running. I am sorry if I missed it, but please let us know. Enjoy, John.

Tried to delete folder Cmpnents, the same result. Stopped on the same place.

I have Windows XP Service Pack 3, which come without Sata drivers. The reason for my NLite compilation is idea to reinstall Windows but with included SATA drivers inside. I checked dll cross reference and it says there lot of lacks of file msvcm90.dll. Some other dlls are missing. You can use any software for checking dll integrity to see that.

It is some kind of error in programing and if author could make another version, since I strongly believe it is a bug here.

Edited by DzigiBau

DzigiBau, did you take out all four folders are just the one? If just the one, try removing all four. I also suggested that you move the folders to another folder. If this every works, you could move the folders back in just before you create an ISO. Your install may well need some of the files. I have never used a Recovery CD but know some people have problems with them. You can do a search here to see what kind of problems, but I do not remember anyone having the problems your are having. Similar problems have occurred when the CD is copied to the root directory instead of an empty folder (nLite then searches the entire HDD). We have also seen something similar when .NET was hosed. Perhaps I should have told you at the get go that the owner/author, nuhi, is on hiatus and we have not heard from him in some time. Apparently he is very busy and may not ever be able to support nLite and vLite again. I look at most problems as needing a work around since a real live fix may never be available. Very few real nLite bugs have been identified and works around were developed by posters here. Please try removing all four folders mentioned, if you have not, and let us know. Sp0iLedBrAt suggested you consider an unattended install path. There is more than one way to get at this. There is an Unattended Guide link at the top of the page. I do not understand what you mean about checking your .dll integrity. Did you check your CD? How - what program? Enjoy, John.

DzigiBau, did you take out all four folders are just the one? If just the one, try removing all four. I also suggested that you move the folders to another folder. If this every works, you could move the folders back in just before you create an ISO. Your install may well need some of the files. I have never used a Recovery CD but know some people have problems with them. You can do a search here to see what kind of problems, but I do not remember anyone having the problems your are having. Similar problems have occurred when the CD is copied to the root directory instead of an empty folder (nLite then searches the entire HDD). We have also seen something similar when .NET was hosed. Perhaps I should have told you at the get go that the owner/author, nuhi, is on hiatus and we have not heard from him in some time. Apparently he is very busy and may not ever be able to support nLite and vLite again. I look at most problems as needing a work around since a real live fix may never be available. Very few real nLite bugs have been identified and works around were developed by posters here. Please try removing all four folders mentioned, if you have not, and let us know. Sp0iLedBrAt suggested you consider an unattended install path. There is more than one way to get at this. There is an Unattended Guide link at the top of the page. I do not understand what you mean about checking your .dll integrity. Did you check your CD? How - what program? Enjoy, John.

Tried to take out all folders bit i386. Nothning.

I tried also to move it to another destination, of course, out of root, as you suggested. Nothing again.

Manually copied folder to the newest folder. Nothing.

You can try Dependency Walker 2.2 to get a picture about dll connections. Mine shows that dll files of the NLite, which are Microsoft dlls for certain jobs, have a problem since some files they want to get connected to are missing. It could be the reason for stopping on certain point.

If I may present my opinion it is probably a bug which is created after we owners of Windows XP SP3 installed some of Windows patches. That chagned something inside of dlls crucial for NLite. It is written several years ago, meaning that newer Windows have something different causing problems to NLite.

We shall together try to find a fix since NLite is very valuable software to be lost due to probably small programing reason.

hi DzigiBau! since you mentioned about some dll concerns, would it be possible that your sys doesn't have the required ones? this may not be the exact answer to your current issue but try looking into this too: [Release] Kels' Runtimes v6 ... the last post by Sereby deals with a stand-alone installer. give it a shot before running nLite again ... might help too redownloading the nLite installer ... cheers!

DzigiBau, I am not sure what you are running Dependency Walker against. I have not used it and know nothing about it. I DLed it and ran it against nLite.exe and found three DLLs missing (see attached). I also ran it against several other .exe files and they all reported the same three DLLs missing. Don't know what this means - perhaps never executed calls to DLLs. What is msvcm90.dll missing from? - nLite, others?? I do not have this DLL in my CD, but it is in the nLite folder although not called out by Dependency Walker. The AddOn that Kiki Burgh pointed to does contain this DLL. I doubt that adding SPs and updates to your system has produced this problem. I would point out that this is the first time I have seen this - many are running fine. I still suspect something is wrong with your CD and nLite is hanging instead of reporting that it cannot handle the problem. I guess it could be something wrong with your system - virus? - bad update? - ?? I don't know where to go from here. Have you researched others using Recovery CDs. Enjoy, John.

Thank you guys, but no solution yet.

I spent almost a week to try everything you mentioned. This awesome package is really great, I recommend to everybody http://sereby.org/site/AiO-tab_x86.

I made a trick, to see what is really going on. If we assume that Scanning of Hard Disk could be problem, I copied Windows installation to 1Gb memory stick. Opened it with NLite and it still freezes on the Looking Windows Installation window. The same situation.

After that, I was researching what necessary software I have and tried separately Net Framework 2, than 2 SP1, than 3.0 and finally 3.5. In the middle I uninstalled previous package whit netfx cleaning tool, made CCleaner Registry Clean and install new one.

Never made any progress. I went here to friends house and we tried NLite on his machine. Try to guess :yes: nothing happend. NLite freezes again on the same spot.

He has very brand new computer Quadro Core, 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Hard Disk, with Windows XP Professional installed with original Windows OEM CD, newer than mine.

Then I tried on other computer, old one, single Core, 1Gb RAM, old Windows XP SP2, and it worked. It could finish all procedure smoothly. I can not imagine that NLite does not work on new machines, it is the last thought I would give, but this is situation right now.

Any newer suggestion you might have, would be great.

DzigiBau, truly weird! I cannot think of anything that might be causing this. Perhaps SP3 or a later update??? I have not heard of anyone having this problem and I suspect most people have SP3 and most, current updates. Did you do exactly the same procedure on the computer that worked? I will do some cogitating and let you know if I have any new ideas.

Sp0iLedBrAt, I too, removed Movie Maker.

Enjoy, John.

Just to confirm that there is another one with the same problem - I have exactly the same situation as DzigiBau: I tried nLite couple of years ago (with XP SP2 installed), it worked excellent and I really liked it; but now when I try to integrate newest updates and hotfixes (downloaded with Windows Updates Downloader) in my XP installation, it seems that there's no way that nLite can do it - it stops responding in scanning stage (numerous times). Looking for solution I discovered this discussion and tried your suggestions, but nothing worked (using SP3 with the most current updates).

pesec, what source are you starting with? If you are not starting with a fresh copy of you original CD files/folders, please do so and let us hear. You can use your original Last Session to keep the configuration you had before. Enjoy, John.