NLite stopped working on Locating Windows Installation - SOLVED

DzigiBau

DzigiBau, here is something to try - manual slipstream of SP3. Please copy your CD files/folders into an empty folder. Open a command prompt and enter the complete path to SP3 followed by " /integrate:path", include the blank but not the quotes on the switch. The path is the complete path to the source folder. Here is an example from my system using a hot fix:

"C:\Slipstream\Slipstream Components\Build_Components\Update_Hotfix\Additional\WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB958655-x64-ENU.exe" /integrate:C:\Slipstream\Working

Then open nLite and point it to the source folder. Please let us know. Enjoy, John.

It's also OK if you extract SP3 (the i386 folder). So, if you have a folder called SP3 (for the service pack) and a folder called WinXP (for the contents of your CD), both on C:\ , then the command would be

C:\SP3\i386\update\update.exe /Integrate:C:\WinXP\

pesec, what source are you starting with? If you are not starting with a fresh copy of you original CD files/folders, please do so and let us hear. You can use your original Last Session to keep the configuration you had before. Enjoy, John.

Same original source I've used first time when I successfully made XP+SP3 installation CD...

Anyway, today I tried the procedure on my cousin's computer with XP SP2 installed (same source, same copy of nLite) and guess what - everything went smoothly without a hiccup... So, I would say it is definitely some kind of incompatibility between SP3 (or later update) and nLite.

Anyway, thank you for responding!

DzigiBau, here is something to try - manual slipstream of SP3. Please copy your CD files/folders into an empty folder. Open a command prompt and enter the complete path to SP3 followed by " /integrate:path", include the blank but not the quotes on the switch. The path is the complete path to the source folder. Here is an example from my system using a hot fix:

"C:\Slipstream\Slipstream Components\Build_Components\Update_Hotfix\Additional\WindowsServer2003.WindowsXP-KB958655-x64-ENU.exe" /integrate:C:\Slipstream\Working

Then open nLite and point it to the source folder. Please let us know. Enjoy, John.

John,

I did that, it integrated all files in a minute into my dedicated folder. Opened NLite, choose my C:\Nxp folder, the same again, it stopped responding.

Integration of SP3 is an idea, but mostly I wanted to integrate both Nvidia and Intel SATA drivers, some monitor drivers and include recent Security Patches. Nothing more.

The elements I used on working machine: Windows OEM Installation disk SP2, NLite downloaded from the Authors site, downloaded drivers and Windows patches. Machine was good with Winodws SP2. Everything went very smoothly. I used completely same elements on the new machine with SP3 and never past the point Scanning. It is probably a bug initiated with certain incompatibilities. Never mind.

If anybody has idea or software which could make a nice log file in order to give us a light what exactly stopped NLite working, it would be nice start point.

Edited by DzigiBau

DzigiBau, I was hoping that you would get you past the scan, not as a final step. I now suspect that there is some update issued recently by MS that is causing the problem. Since nuhi is probably not going to help, I am looking for a work around. Right now, the only thing I can think about is removing some on the latest updates to your system and trying until it works. I am not sure if you are willing to try this. I know of no trace or log system to use. Someone else may have some suggestions as to how to get a handle on this. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: DzigiBau and pesec, have either of you tried with your security turned off? If not, please do and let us know. When I run without my security enabled, I disconnect my modem to be sure that I don't get zapped. Also have you scanned you systems lately for bad guys? Enjoy, John.

Edited by johnhc

Maybe it's a problem related to .net framework ?

If i was you i will try to uninstall any .net framework (use the cleanup tool if needed http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/NET-Framework-Cleanup-Tool-Download-116561.html )

And then resintall the .net 3.5 package (you can use the one made by user_hidden, very good and up to date http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7186 )

pesec, please try what I suggested to DzigiBau above and let us hear. Thanks, John.

I tried that too, ("manual" integration), no problem there, but when I directed nLite to the source, it stopped responding at the same point again (scanning, size)...

Also, I'd tried it with AV and firewall disabled before I came here - nothing... No malware, too... I guess I'll go to my cousin's and finish that CD before he updates the system to SP3 :)

Thanks

John,

I tried earlier without any Antivirus on, the same situation. I am not in the mood to work with removing Windows Patches, but I am rather on the path to see if we can manage it somehow. It is probably a bug as I said before.

Mooms,

As I said before, I tried to remove NetFramework with nice cleaning tool and I had enough of time to play with all versions 1.0 to3 3.5 separatelly just to see if it is solution. Nothing worked. Now, I use 3.5 version.

I really think it should be reprogrammed it it is possible at all.

SOLVED.

This is a bug, but it can be fixed.

You can try this one. Open Control Panel, Regional and Language Options and when that windows is openned, you can find the first language options saying »Select an item to match your its preferences, or click Customize to choose your formats« and than select English (United States). It would make Nlite working again. Of course, you might select some other Country and language and experiment with your NLite. If you are not sure, just pick English and run for your Nlite.

Regional settings may interfere sometimes with certain software, which is obviously some kind of Winodws bug. For the time of being we know how to fix this one, but if Nuhy appear again, it would be easy to fix in the NLite source code.

Guys, thank you very much for your efforts and toughts you shared with me in this topic.

Good to hear.

Congrats for your lateral thinking and thank you for sharing the solution. You could also add SOLVED to the title of the topic for better understanding.

Enjoy,

I would love to add SOLVED to Title, but I could not find a way to do that. If you have a way, I would do change a title immediatelly.