Malicious Software Removal Tool required for Windows Update?

Mim0

I'm asking me what the Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT) has to do with accessing Windows Update.

Can anybody confirm that this is correct, that MSRT is needed for Windows online-updates? (I've no experience with MS-online-updates.)

Otherwise I would change my list so that MSRT is listed as an optional update.

Regards, Mimo

hi Mim0! afaik, this has nothing to do with windows update for it is basically an anti-virus of sort ... mbsa 2.1 would be more likely to fit the bill as

& it serves as
& i have it in HFSVCPACK_SW1. cheers! ;) Edited by Kiki Burgh

@Mim0

Hi! I'm pretty sure Kiki was reffering to mbsa(msi), when he said that he had it in HFSVCPACK_SW1... (which isn't required for WU either...)

Anyway, nice work on your list! Personally, then i would rather have used the terminology which msft themselves uses for the updates i.e. 'High-priority' and 'Optional' (In the old days it where 'Critical' and 'Recommended'), as you e.g. lists some updates as 'Optional', which are marked on WU as 'High-priority', but it's your decision of course...

CU, Martin.

Why do you have it in HFSVCPACK_SW1?
Hi! I'm pretty sure Kiki was reffering to mbsa(msi), when he said that he had it in HFSVCPACK_SW1... (which isn't required for WU either...)
on the dot on 2 counts Martin H. ;) i only mentioned about mbsa for more or less comparison's sake & a little additional info ... cheers!

@Kiki&Martin

OK, it was MBSA. Thx! :)

...Personally, then i would rather have used the terminology which msft themselves uses for the updates i.e. 'High-priority' and 'Optional' (In the old days it where 'Critical' and 'Recommended'), as you e.g. lists some updates as 'Optional', which are marked on WU as 'High-priority', but it's your decision of course...
Under 'High-priority' on WU there are Security-updates but also "other" updates (e.g. WGA). Security-updates has their own severity (written in the security bulletin) and not 'High-priority' in general.

My list differentiate only security updates (Security-Bulletins and Security-Advisories) and other (optional) updates. I didn't want to classify the other updates (other than Security-Bulletins and Security-Advisories) because what is the meaning of 'High-priority'? What kind of priority? Of course to install WGA is in the sense of Microsoft but I cannot represent that classification! So everybody must decide what kind of non-security-updates shall be installed in her/his system. :)

For what it's worth, WU just looks for the existance of mrt.exe in sys32.exe to be satisified that the MRT tool is installed. This is why I consider this non-essential. Yea, I know hard drives are cheap now, but I don't see the point of just having a file there taking up space.

[...]what is the meaning of 'High-priority'? What kind of priority?

msft uses the terminology 'High-priority' for security updates + critical non-security updates, and 'Optional' for non-security non-critical updates... Personally, then i would want all the security updates no matter what their severity rating and then also the critical non-security updates, and then of-cource i'd have to use my brain as to avoid 'High-priority' marked updates as WGA-N and MRT etc.

My point was just that your list e.g. labels KB967715 as 'Optional', while that update on WU is listed 'High-priority' and not 'Optional', which makes for confussion IMHO. That update disables autorun for network drives(only!), which was suppossed to be done by Windows by default, but msft screwed up... (disabling autorun dosen't fix it either!)

Anyway, it's your list and your choise, so just continue using your terminology if that feels best for you! :)

CU, Martin.

For what it's worth, WU just looks for the existance of mrt.exe in sys32.exe to be satisified that the MRT tool is installed. This is why I consider this non-essential. Yea, I know hard drives are cheap now, but I don't see the point of just having a file there taking up space.

Actually, it looks for a GUID in the registry. It changes each patch tuesday and can be found here.

This is for nLite and will suppress the appearance on WU. I'm not sure how HFSLIP works and whether it allows you to add reg edits.

[general]

builddate=2010/01/12

description=Malicious Software Removal Tool

language=English

title=KB890830

version=3.3

website=http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=890830

[registry_addreg]

HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemovalTools\MRT,"EULA2",0x10001,1

HKLM,SOFTWARE\Microsoft\RemovalTools\MRT,"Version",,"ED3205FC-FC48-4A39-9FBD-B0035979DDFF"