Major problem, tried everything!

3v0

Hi all..

I am really getting so p***ed with this problem..

The thing is.. I wanted to install windows XP in my Acer Revo 3600 ( which has no CD/DVD drive ).

How ever I tried to install it just by getting the XP files into a boot-table USB.. and I did.. but the thing is I needed to install the drivers cause windows cannot see them during the installation.

I searched around found nLite and was happy to see I finally got a possible solution for my problem.

I extracted the drivers and mixed them using nLite.. and made a boot-able USB drive..

Then I went to install..

First I got into text mode then installed the widows successfully..

then reboot and then choose " GUI mode + continue installing xp + 1st start of XP "

Installed the rest of the needed things.. then rebooted..

went to BIOS and changed HDD to the main boot device.. then rebooted..

then I got this error:

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.

Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

So I tired to boot again from USB. and to get into windows recovery by press R.. but it wont let me in.. says "hal.dll" is missing..

What should I do? this way my computer is stuck at this stage.. I cant re-install/fix/repair the windows this way.

we have an entire forum dedicated to this exact issue

Install Windows from USB (ill be moving this thread there for neatness sake)

You should read the stickies in that forum here and here

the second one has the exact issue you describe and its fix

Q4: I am getting HAL.DLL or NTOSKRNL.EXE not found error, why?

A4: You are installing Windows to a disk/partition other than first disk/first partition. Amend BOOT.INI on USB disk to reflect your setup.

For example- if installing windows on SECOND disk/third partition, and FOLDER name is MYWIN, that line in BOOT.INI should look like:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\MYWIN="2. GUI Mode Setup Windows XP, Continue Setup + Start XP from HD 1" /FASTDETECT

Please note that rdisk(0) means first hard disk. Because we are booting from USB disk it becomes first, hence the first internal hard disk (which is second when start counting from our USB disk) gets rdisk(1), second- rdisk(2) and so on.

we have an entire forum dedicated to this exact issue

Install Windows from USB (ill be moving this thread there for neatness sake)

You should read the stickies in that forum here and here

the second one has the exact issue you describe and its fix

Q4: I am getting HAL.DLL or NTOSKRNL.EXE not found error, why?

A4: You are installing Windows to a disk/partition other than first disk/first partition. Amend BOOT.INI on USB disk to reflect your setup.

For example- if installing windows on SECOND disk/third partition, and FOLDER name is MYWIN, that line in BOOT.INI should look like:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\MYWIN="2. GUI Mode Setup Windows XP, Continue Setup + Start XP from HD 1" /FASTDETECT

Please note that rdisk(0) means first hard disk. Because we are booting from USB disk it becomes first, hence the first internal hard disk (which is second when start counting from our USB disk) gets rdisk(1), second- rdisk(2) and so on.

Thanks for the tip mate. this is my boot.ini content

[boot Loader]

Timeout=30

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT = "1st, text mode setup (Boot from flash again after finished)"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="2nd, GUI mode setup, continue setup + 1st start of Windows" /fastdetect

C:\ = "---> DEBUG options. Try if you have hal.dll error <---"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 2" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 3" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 1 partition 4" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 1" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 2" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 3" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Debug boot rDisk 2 partition 4" /fastdetect

I tried all of the above and none was working.. and all of the Debug boot gives me this error "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.

Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware."

When I installed the windows I had 2 USB attached to the PC..

And I installed my windows on 1 single partition, there isn't any other partitions

In this case what should I do to get my windows working again?

Cheers~

Edited by 3v0

It's not Windows issue at all ;)

The problem is with not paying attention to the messages:

Note the bolded part:

2nd, GUI mode setup, continue setup + 1st start of Windows

Now reading your report:

...then reboot and then choose " GUI mode + continue installing xp + 1st start of XP "

Did you miss something? :whistle:

What you posted is boot.ini on the USB disk, but you were starting from the internal disk...

• 4 weeks later...
First I got into text mode then installed the widows successfully..

then reboot and then choose " GUI mode + continue installing xp + 1st start of XP "

You have to choose the option " GUI mode + continue installing xp + 1st start of XP " again until u finish the first logon and then change to main hdd.