WinSetupFromUSB and DriverPacks?

Siginet

I think the OEM folder should be moved to the root of our USB Sticks. This way if we have XP Pro and XP Home on our sticks they can both use the OEM folder instead of having there own OEM folders. This would save about 500 MB or so each time the DriverPacks would be duplicated.

In Windows XP PowerPacker I do this.

This may lessen the code in WinSetupFromUSB because it will not have to modify presetup.cmd because it will allready find the OEM folder at the root of the stick. ;)

The problem is not new. It could be done this way, but I'd rather keep them in separate folders, in case someone uses different sets/versions of DP for 2000, XP and 2003.

If disk space is a problem- they could be moved to root manually and setup.cmd adjusted, or in case of NTFS- use hard links with the included DFHL.exe.

Need more feedback from guys using BTS and USB setup with multiple sources.

I figured that was your reasoning. I had to make a decision like that back when I wrote powerpacker. I decided to go the route of just putting them all on the root. I figure in most cases people will use the same driverpacks for each OS. However I don't deal with Windows 2000 multiboot stuff anymore. I do think that the XP-2003 driverpacks are the same though... and in most cases I think 2000 drivers would utalize the same as well. On a USB stick the more space you save by preventing duplicate files the better. It's not much of a deal with multiboot cd/dvds because of iso optimization.

The few cases where users would use different drivers they could allways modify their OSes to place their driverpacks in OEM\2000, OEM\2003, and so on. Or that could also be built into WinSetupFromUSB automatically as an option.

[ ] Seperate driverpacks from different OSes?

I would definatly like to help script WinSetupFromUSB if you'd welcome the help. I don't have the time for coding like I used to. But I'm in the coding mood latley. ;) Of course we'd have to keep in good contact and let each other know which areas we are working on so that we don't code the same stuff. A lot of the scripting for WinSetupFromUSB I'm sure is simular to PowerPacker or RVM Integrator. I am sure I have code in them that would be utalized very well in WinSetupFromUSB. ;)

As I have said from the beginning. This USB setup stuff intrigues me. It opens so many doors where cd/dvd multiboot disks are limited.

• 2 weeks later...
I guess I'd have to add an advanced settings page :)

Maybe you could do this, user runs winsetupfromusb, and is adding a second, third xp source, etc. If DriverPacks are found, offer to move them to root for common use, or leave alone for seperate use (in case of different packs). Cause I would also like a common pack in root, since I'm using the same files. So, what changes would I have to make to achieve that, just move OEM to root, and edit i386/setup.cmd to point there?

I am working on this right now.

just move OEM to root, and edit i386/setup.cmd to point there
Yep, search & replace %CDDRIVE%\WINSETUP\XPpSP2\OEM to %CDDRIVE%\OEM.

The bolded part may vary depending on your source and if multiple similar sources were added.

I am working on this right now.
just move OEM to root, and edit i386/setup.cmd to point there
Yep, search & replace %CDDRIVE%\WINSETUP\XPpSP2\OEM to %CDDRIVE%\OEM.

The bolded part may vary depending on your source and if multiple similar sources were added.

Ok, will try that, thanks