Install XP on 1 GH Hard drive

kansas81

Hello

We have dozen computers with 1 GB disk only - is this possible to install XP on this machine (installation says that 1,3 GB is required - I thought this could be made on less disk space when I shrink my installation with nlite). But this prompt (I have 360MB installation size) with not enough disk space still appears..Is this possible to install XP on this kind of machine ? I would like to avoid install XP embedded or something. I would like to have normal XP that is simply not as big as standard one. Thanks in advance

Regards

Thank you for clarifying me this thing. I didn't read the license carefully - definitely I won't use this tool if it is not allowed.. Ok - maybe other question - is this possible to install XP on this kind of machine, at all? Are there any other tools (other than windows embedded) - there may be commercial. I am newbie on this topic, thank you for any advices. If it is not possible - we should move to embedded enironment :/

On machines that old there might be a BIOS limitation for drives over 6-8GB in size, so a modern IDE drive might be out of the question, can't really say without more details. Not a good guesser.

If I had to guess what the hardware is, it's likely 10 years old or more so I'm leaning towards Pentium2 w/128MB RAM and maybe a CD drive (definitely no DVD). How close was I ?

I think your best shot with those kind of specs is Windows 2000

Let's wait for the specs. :)

However, it was just a very short period, which I would date to 96-97, maybe first moths of 98 at the most before ANY motherboard adopted the int13h extensions:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/bios/sizeGB8-c.html

The "real" trouble is that those motherboard will probably have ATA 1:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/stdATA-c.html

or ATA 2:

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/stdATA2-c.html

I.e. so called ATA-33 or at the most ATA-66 IDE interface, which will reduce any OS to a hog with todays amount of data read and written:

http://www.storagereview.com/articles/9908...ata66vs33a.html

jaclaz

Thank you for your immediate answers. The machines are quite fair and new, but when they were buying, they were thought to be a network computer. It has 1 GHz processor (VIA), 256MB Ram, but small hard disk :/ On this device Windows Embedded is working but I would like to have standard Windows XP. Any further advices ?

Thank you for your immediate answers. The machines are quite fair and new, but when they were buying, they were thought to be a network computer. It has 1 GHz processor (VIA), 256MB Ram, but small hard disk :/ On this device Windows Embedded is working but I would like to have standard Windows XP. Any further advices ?

Let's try again.

Post Make/model of those machines and possibly a link to the manufacturer's site.

1 GB hard disks are not manufactured since, say, 12 (twelve) years, so you are giving us some "wrong" info.

Or maybe it is not a hard disk but a SSD or DOM Flash device? :unsure:

The 256 Mbyte of memory are not that much for XP, however even thin clients (possibly the machines you have are of this kind) nowadays ship with 512 or 1 Gb of RAM.

jaclaz

If they are pre-loaded with XP Embedded, why not use them as RDP clients and have each user connect to a terminal server. 1GB drive is just not gonna cut it for a normal XP installation.

1 GB hard disks are not manufactured since, say, 12 (twelve) years, so you are giving us some "wrong" info.

Or maybe it is not a hard disk but a SSD or DOM Flash device? :unsure:

The 256 Mbyte of memory are not that much for XP, however even thin clients (possibly the machines you have are of this kind) nowadays ship with 512 or 1 Gb of RAM.

Correct - it is not hard disk - it is disc on module stuff - some kind of flash memory on IDE connector.

Computers are pre-installed with useless for our needs WindowsCE system - xp embedded was our tryings, but our agreement with local Microsoft partner probably doesn't allow to use xp embedded without additional cost, annexes to agreement etc. and this is what we would like to avoid. We don't want to use rdp clients - we just can't do that. Thank you for the link with Windows Fundamentals for legacy PC - I will check this out. Thank you