Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

MagicAndre1981

Thanks. That TVService causes a shutdown delay as well, as although it closes quickly, within 2s, it doesn't seem to tell Windows that it's closed and so Windows waits 12s or so before continuing. They're looking at that, I'll have to ask if anything can be done about the startup as well but probably not as the tuner card has to initialise, etc.

Strangely though, on my next boot it was back down to 43s! I don't actually have much loading at startup at all, just the bare minimum and have left most stuff to be started as needed by the user. I probably will re-enable some things that really should be started automatically but I want to make sure the baseline is stable first.

Compared to the boot you analysed and my last boot it shows

MainPathBootTime 38563 vs 18469

BootPostBootTime 46700 vs 23500

I'll have to keep an eye on it for a few days and see if it behaves.

I'm having issues with my boot (and resume from hibernate) speeds. Will you please take a look and see if anything shows why? I've looked at the trace but it doesn't make sense to me.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4GOZTpM3s6TanNVbXVwX09HOGc/edit?usp=sharing - The zip contains the cab, etl and xml files.

The machine is a Lenovo ThinkPad T420 with Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 64bit. It also has 8GB of RAM, an Intel i5 running at 2.30GHz.

first, your prefetcher is completey ruined:

post-70718-0-38616400-1374121325_thumb.p

next the HDD is busy all the time:

post-70718-0-04182300-1374121450_thumb.p

The disk queue is 75, which is bad.

Also some servies are extremely slow to satrt:

vmware-usbarbitrator (totalTransitionTimeDelta="98527"), vmware-converter (totalTransitionTimeDelta="13997"), VMwareHostd" (totalTransitionTimeDelta="14044").

Install the Enterprise Hotfix Rollup:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152622-hotfixes-for-faster-windows-7-bootstartup/?p=1034088

reduce the number of startet services and programs you load (you can start VMware service for expample later via a cmd, that's what I do) and run the optimization, I linked in the first post.

See if this improves boot perfromance.

I found this article about measuring Disk Latency.https://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/archive/2012/02/07/measuring-disk-latency-with-windows-performance-monitor-perfmon.aspx?Redirected=true

I don't really understand it all but I did try looking at the Counters in Performance Monitor but it didn't really mean much to me.

I guess what I really need is a way to monitor the latency / IO which also shows what activity is happening, which also logs it as it's almost impossible to catch things in real-time when everything is constantly changing.

Hi MagicAndre - great thread.

For the last 6 months, I've been experiencing the following issue at Windows 7 SP1 64bit Enterprise shutdown:
- shutdown works fine when done within a couple hours of startup
- shutdown takes forever (until ACPI? timeout and forced reboot) if the PC has been on for longer than that.

I have captured a good shutdown and a bad shutdown file (etl) with BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER and loaded them up in the GUI but can't make much sense of the information. I think I need your expert help!

This was the command I used (from the first post) xbootmgr -trace shutdown -noPrepReboot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+DRIVERS+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP
Good and bad shutdowns are here:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q3cb7o5tjhnrm9s/hVIwM_tK6c

Let me know what you think

Thanks

Thanks MagicAndre. That's a step in the right direction. I'll do some more research and maybe unplug a couple USB devices i don't use on a regular basis to see if it helps.

I ran Process Monitor with Boot Logging enabled. There are 5 processes that take over 45 seconds to run. The ones that really concern me at the lsass.exe processes. Looking through the other link, I don't see anything that applies to me. Any idea as to why those processes would be taking so long?

post-323876-0-76101000-1374587857_thumb.