Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 


  • Content count

  • Donations

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About schmohawk

Profile Information

  • OS
    Windows 7 x64
  1. Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

    I wasn't sure if this response was directed towards me or not. . . . this was my ETL file: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwn6uLR04A1eUzlYcVVheVpuMkE/edit?usp=sharing Thanks,
  2. Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

    OK, I've uploaded the ETL here: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwn6uLR04A1eUzlYcVVheVpuMkE/edit?usp=sharing
  3. Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

    I ran a new boot trace with xbootmgr, and the file came out to be 200MB, better than before, but still, I cannot run xperf on it, and when I open it in Performance Analyzer, it warns that over 43,000 events are missing. Errr... wait... looking backwards in the posts today, I see that mine is gone, too... dang! So here goes... rewriting... Between the time of my first post and this morning when you responded, I discovered the new Win Performance Toolkit 5.0. Using the new Windows Performance Recorder, I ran a successful round of 3 On/Off: Boot Traces, and opened the resulting ETL files in the new Windows Performance Analyzer. I took screenshots of two graphs that I thought are most helpful, they are below. Then I went ahead and ran the "xperf /tti" command against one of the 3 ETL files, and I have attached the summary.xml. It seems like it extracted the right results, so for boot traces, I will just use the new tool from now on. I'd like to find out if the new Recorder tool can also do the Prefetch/ReadyBoot defrag cycle... One more thing, I just discovered a page in German where someone described how to actually fix the buffers/memory issue. Page is at http://www.wintotal.de/windows-performance-toolkit-macht-mudes-windows-wieder-munter/ and basically he says to change the regkey HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger\ReadyBoot\MaxFileSize from 20 (decimal) to 60 (decimal), and a couple other useful things I hadn't known about... so after all this, maybe I will give xbootmgr one more try at tracing. This is the Boot Phases graph: ... and this is a mocked up shot of the Lifetime by Process graph, well, a thumbnail bcuz it's too obnoxious & large an image to just embed. Thank you for any suggestions you can provide as to what I can do to better my boot time. When I started working on this last week, Restart time was 133 seconds, so it's down to about 68, pretty good already! >>>>8 hours later... OK... I have changed the buffer/memory settings and this is what fixed my issues with losing events and with not being able to run the xperf analysis of the xbootmgr etl files. It was so simple! So, I have run a completely new boot trace, and attached the summary xml file. As of this update, I am deleting the previously mentioned version, and am including the latest one which came from the successful run of xperf. It looks like my there two major slowdowns on my system: Avira and Windows Search... I'm considering dumping the built in search if I can find a good alternative that includes content searches (maybe dnGrep...) but not sure what I can do about Avira, as I'm a beta tester for tehm and can't (won't) use another AV. Thanks, summary_boot.xml
  4. Trace Windows 7 boot/shutdown/hibernate/standby/resume issues

    Hi, I've been reading through this thread after having run xbootmgr -trace boot -traceFlags BASE+CSWITCH+POWER -resultPath C:\TEMP with what I thought was success... At least, I didn't have any errors in the process, until I ran the first xperf trace on the ETL file, and got the annoying and cryptic message: applying restriction of access for trace processing 113409 Events were lost in this trace. Data may be unreliable. This is usually caused by insufficient disk bandwidth for ETW logging. Please try increasing the minimum and maximum number of buffers and/or the buffer size. Doubling these values would be a good first attempt. Please note, though, that this action increases the amount of memory reserved for ETW buffers, increasing memory pressure on your scenario. See "xperf -help start" for the associated command line options. I tried adding the various switches to the line (-BufferSize 512 -MinBuffers 128 -MaxBuffers 1024), etc. but nothing made a difference, I'd always get the same error. The ETL is only 25 MB, and I've uploaded it to Dropbox should you have a chance to look at it. I'd sure like to get past the xperf issue, though. My hard drive is a 1.5TB decent Hitachi, with several partitions, but there's lots of empty space. And I have 8GB of RAM and a pagefile that is also 8GB. I did run ProcMon and turn on boot logging for another go round, but I couldn't see what to do with all the 18 pml files it created, adding up to 4.5GB! Any and all suggestions welcome. Thanks, Here's the link to my boot_BASE+CSWITCH+POWER_1.etl