Firefox 2.0.0.20 Error on MySpace (SOLVED)

LoneCrusader

Tried to go to MySpace this evening, and got this error:

Firefox_20020_Error_on_MySpace.jpg

Running 98SE, Firefox 2.0.0.20, IE6 SP1 installed, Flash Player 9. No mods except rloew's RAM patch.

What's idiotic about this, is that MySpace will load in IE6!!! :realmad:

Saw an earlier topic about spoofing the User Agent to make sites display in IE6, is there a way to use the same principle to have Firefox report a newer version?

Edited by LoneCrusader

Saw an earlier topic about spoofing the User Agent to make sites display in IE6, is there a way to use the same principle to have Firefox report a newer version?

The 'easy' way to do this would be to install and use Chris Pederick's excellent User Agent Switcher addon for Firefox, then either select one of the user agent strings installed, or add a new one based on the browser that you would like to have Firefox appear to be.

Here's a list of user agent strings for Firefox. Be careful to change the language reported by any of the user agent strings you use to your own language. Example - the first string listed on the page I linked to under Firefox 3.6:

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; zh-CN; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/3.6

If your language isn't Chinese (zh-CN), but is (US) English, change zh-CN to en-US.

Also worth noting is the Windows NT 5.2 bit. This identifies your Operating System as Windows XP/Server 64-bit. To change it to Windows 98 SE (for example), use Win98 instead.

Tried to go to MySpace this evening, and got this error:

Just for curiosity, I've checked MySpace and no problem at all (I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.22pre).

Maybe it's issue with the Flash (I've latest 10 version of it)?

Edited by rainyd

Thanks bristols, the User Agent Switcher solved the problem :thumbup

Setting the User Agent to:

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; ; rv:1.9.0.14) Gecko/2009082707 Firefox/3.0.14"

solves the problem if anyone else runs into this. I emailed MySpace support about it whenever it first happened, (wasn't expecting much, haha) and of course they were extremely helpful :wacko: , here's the garbage they sent me:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting MySpace.

MySpace has done some updates and serves many advanced features which require a more modern browser. For that reason, you are asked to update your browser. This is a technical issue on your end, not on our site. Computer related tech issues cannot be supported through MySpace. We recommend reviewing the tech manual regarding your operating system. If that doesn't work, you might want to speak with a computer technician. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

The MySpace Support team

Quite ridiculous since as I mentioned before, the page loads perfectly in IE6, which is certainly much more outdated than Firefox 2.

@rainyd - You must be using KernelEx to have Flash Player 10, I'm just running straight 98SE w/ RAM Patch.

• 2 months later...

I apologize for bumping this old topic back up, but I just discovered something that I found to be hilarious.

While a visit to MySpace with Windows 98 SE, Firefox 2.0.0.20, and Flash Player 9 will get you the error that is pictured above....

A visit with Windows 95 C, Firefox 1.5.0.12, and Flash Player 7 produces no errors at all.

:blink:

:unsure:

:w00t:

:lol:

• 1 month later...

I downloaded the user agent switch, what I would like to know is as I use Firefox do I need to download an additional string for Firefox as the only ones I see listed are Internet Explorer, search robots, and i phone.

I downloaded the user agent switch, what I would like to know is as I use Firefox do I need to download an additional string for Firefox as the only ones I see listed are Internet Explorer, search robots, and i phone.

You can add strings as you wish, or try using the IE ones. See the other thread for full reply.

Edited by LoneCrusader