Installing a SATA controller and hard drive

pengyou

It would be helpful if you could make the answer to this a sticky. I have searched your site and found answers here and there but a lot of them are not completely self contained, i.d. refer to other posts or sites or make comments like "you need a third party driver", but never mention where. Can someone point me to a thread that will answer this question?

I have a 500 gb SATA II drive with a PCI express Serial ATA I/II Host Controller Card. The Mobo is a via p4pb 400 with a celeron 2.4 ghz - will soon have a 2.8 ghz P4 (I hope, but one thing at a time.)

I am really thankful to find this site. I still have some hardware that works only on 98. It works really well, so am not interested in shelling out more $$$ just to keep up with the Gates ;) Also, I found that 98 is extremely stable once the evil, nasty IE 5 was removed! I will continue to explore your site!

Thanks again for all of your hard work.

Edited by pengyou

Guest wsxedcrfv

You'll have to tell us the exact SATA chipset that's on your PCIe controller card. Even with that, I'm thinking the odds are not good that you'll find a win-98 driver for it (because it's PCIe, not PCI).

You're better off getting a motherboard that has integrated SATA controller that has win-98 drivers. If you don't want to go that route, then pick up a cheap PCI SATA controller for $25 at your local mom-and-pop off-brand / discount / surplus computer-parts store (not the big-box stores).

I recently picked up such a card - it uses the Silicon Image 3512 chipset. Just FYI - SATA controllers will appear in your device manager as a "SCSI" controller once it's been installed.

It would be helpful if you could make the answer to this a sticky. I have searched your site and found answers here and there but a lot of them are not completely self contained, i.d. refer to other posts or sites or make comments like "you need a third party driver", but never mention where. Can someone point me to a thread that will answer this question?

I have a 500 gb SATA II drive with a PCI express Serial ATA I/II Host Controller Card. The Mobo is a via p4pb 400 with a celeron 2.4 ghz - will soon have a 2.8 ghz P4 (I hope, but one thing at a time.)

I am really thankful to find this site. I still have some hardware that works only on 98. It works really well, so am not interested in shelling out more $$$ just to keep up with the Gates ;) Also, I found that 98 is extremely stable once the evil, nasty IE 5 was removed! I will continue to explore your site!

Thanks again for all of your hard work.

I have written a Patch and .INF file that support the JMicron PCI-E SATA Card using the standard Hard Disk Controller, so it is possible.

I cannot guarantee my Product would work with any other card, and I don't have a Demo Version for you to try.

Edited by rloew

• 2 months later...

I've had a PCI SATA card and 500 GB SATA drive for over a year (not as my primary Windows drive, just data storage) and it's worked flawlessly. The only tricky part is running scandisk on it as I have it partitioned as one massive 500 GB partition (sadly, Norton Utilities Disk Doctor won't work on that large of a partition); on the bright side, my computer doesn't freeze or restart arbitrarily, and I have a battery backup, so it's not like I even have to run scandisk anyway. It's a ''Silicon Image Sil 3512'' SATA card (it's RAID capable, but I don't do a RAID).

Queue

Edited by Queue

FWIW

I have 2 of those cards here.. The largest hard drive I have used is 320gb Sata.

The one from SYBA came with CD with drivers for a dozen or so cards.

The trick is, the drivers are listed by chipset, not card Manuf. But include

Raid/Non-Raid configurations.

For instance, the SYBA card uses INIC drivers. My Startech card uses Silicon-Image drivers.

They work incredibly well, and offer boot options as a SCSI device.

At any rate, if you can't find them easily....This CD may have them on it.

Jake

Edited by triger49

Guest wsxedcrfv
I've had a PCI SATA card and 500 GB SATA drive for over a year (not as my primary Windows drive, just data storage) and it's worked flawlessly. The only tricky part is running scandisk on it as I have it partitioned as one massive 500 GB partition (sadly, Norton Utilities Disk Doctor won't work on that large of a partition);

If you have a large hard drive and/or if you've got a FAT-32 volume with more than the usual 4 million clusters (perhaps a SATA or USB drive), Norton Disk Doctor and Norton Speed disk are compatible with volumes with up to 6.3 million clusters, but not more without using the command-line parameter /NOLBA. When using this parameter, the upper limit for NDD and SD is somewhere between 7.8 and 31 million clusters. The switch /NOLBA forces NDD and SD to skip the drive configuration check. This can also be done with a registry entry by adding a DWORD registry value named NOLBACHECK at this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec\Norton Utilities

When this option is set to 1, Norton Disk Doctor and Speed Disk skip the drive configuration check.