Final ESU Updates for Windows 7 SP1 (Retired!)

Steven, I was a big fan or RyanVM's and user_hidden's XP update packs for a very long time, and recently made the jump to W7, and still getting used to the way update packs work here.

Anyway, I see that the WUD "official" .ulz for Win 7 SP1 **x86** includes several updates that yours doesn't. Can you please have a look?

kb2534366
kb2607047
kb2618451
kb2639308
kb2641690
kb2647753
kb2769369
kb2791765 - you already said this one was superseded
kb2813170
kb2823180
kb2863058

Again, sorry if this is n00b stuff but I want to come up with the right update list that makes WU happy and also includes the really useful feature additions (like exFAT FS back on XP, or the W7 disk cleanup enhancement from kb2852386. (the one that can scrub the winsxs folder).

Strange I'll have look into it later, as it's now past 3 am here in the UK and I need some shut eye. (btw, I now update the official ulz's on the WUD website for Jcarle as well)

exFAT is built-in to Win7 so no need for any update (unless there is a security issue with exfat.sys file) and I can already confirm that KB2852386 is in my ulz's!

Strange I'll have look into it later, as it's now past 3 am here in the UK and I need some shut eye. (btw, I now update the official ulz's on the WUD website for Jcarle as well)

exFAT is built-in to Win7 so no need for any update (unless there is a security issue with exfat.sys file) and I can already confirm that KB2852386 is in my ulz's!

Thanks dude, I appreciate it. One ulz to rule them all, etc etc. :)

About exfat/disk cleanup, I know they're there already, I was just trying to make a point that those are minor, but nice, features to have, and they originally came out as non-descript WU updates, and they're not one of the major Windows addons (like IE, WMP, DX). Little things like that are the kind of things I'm trying to include.

After a little investigating, here are the updates that were removed from my WUD ulz's because they've been superseded:-

KB2534366 replaced by KB2676562

KB2618451 replaced by KB2900986

KB2639308 replaced by KB2676562

KB2641690 replaced by KB2718704

KB2769369 replaced by KB2839894

KB2813170 replaced by KB2872339

KB2863058 replaced by KB2904266

Updates not superseded

KB2607047

KB2647753

KB2823180

Again, thanks for letting me know about the updates that escaped my detection of being superseded. Win7 ULZ's are now sorted out for next year!

Thank you very much for your quick attention Steven. Will you be including those 3 non-superseded updates in your "personal" ULZ? I like that your ULZ includes DX which the official WUD one does not.

Also will check the x64 ones next and let you know if I see anything that looks unusual.

Those 3 non-superseded updates are now in both MSFN and WUD lists. The reason why the DX installers are not in the official lists, is because Jcarle didn't want me to include files that were not hosted on a MS server, due to copyright.

Steven I don't know if you want to include this or not, but Mooms's update pack over at the wincert.net forums includes updated WU software, these files specifically:

wuclient-selfupdate-activex-x86.cab
wuclient-selfupdate-aux-toplevel-x86.cab
wuclient-selfupdate-core-toplevel-x86.cab

Like I said I don't know if you would want to include them or not, just thought I'd throw it out there.

Did you do a fresh install of Win7 SP1 without any updates, cause Post-SP1 has nearly 200 updates on WU now (not counting the extra 350+ hotfixes that's not on WU), and some of them are superseded, but MS hasn't removed them from WU yet.

We only got just over 1 year before Win7 goes into extended support, so hopefully MS will release SP2 before mainstream support ends.

That's because you probably integrated some updates that are not meant to be integrated into a offline image, make a new image but be sure not to include these updates below (assuming you used my latest version of my ULZ's):-

KB2917500

KB2603229

KB2533552

Hello Steven,

new to this thread, and thus my question may be stupid (?):

In what order should I install the updates ? By KB numbers or any other way ?

I am creating a Win 7 x64 SP1 disc (it's a clean SP1 disc, it has got no updates/fixes but SP1 and KB976902.)

Now I used WAIK and dism (command line) to do some customizing and to get rid of some packages that I don't want in my image.

I also would like to try integrate IE11 - I manually got the 9 updates which IE11 downloads automatically before it actually installs itself - and I know the order in which they should be installed.

Altough, at first time I integrated them regardless the order, and after windows 7 had been installed, I installed IE11 offline and it worked fine - so probably here the order of installing those 9 does not matter.

but let's forget integrating IE11, that's not for this thread.

So now I have the clean x64 SP1 image installed on my notebook, with only IE11 added after installation (IE8 was removed with dism).

And I have the .iso image which is exactly the same as the system installed, only IE11 is not integrated.

I would like to integrate updates/hotfixes to this image - preferably using dism (cmd) - I'll make a simple batch file as I did for package removing.

I have updates which I downloaded using "Windows Update Downloader 2.50" - the list "Windows 7 SP1 x64 ENU (2013-12-10)".

I have "check for updates but let me choose..." option enabled in Windows Update, and it gives me a list of updates that MS suggests installing.

Well, I can even run and compare the two lists.

I just don't know in what order the updates should be installed ? by KB number? Should there be a separate order for security updates/non-security/optional/net framework ?

The other thing that came to my mind while writing to you ? the WUD list I dowloaded and used offers sp1 which I already have. Are the security updates/non-security/optional/net framework offered from that list all post SP1 ?

And if any updates had got superseded by others are they excluded from your list ?

Cheers,

eveafterdark

great work, keep it up mate; Happy New Year! (to everybody on msfn)