iPOD Classic 160GB on Windows 98 S.E

frogman

I have an ipod classic 160GB

I would like to know that as I already have a universal nusb33e installed will my ipod work and be recognised on windows 98?

At the moment when I stick in a sandisk 16GB removable drive windows recognises it, so I wanted to know if the iPOD would let me transfer files using the USB2 cable but transferring at the USB1.1 speed and in the normal USB slot.

Edited by frogman

NUSB works fine with the shuffle and should work fine with the iPod classic. Or course, if you have USB 1.1 ports, then you'll get USB 1.1 speed.

Nevertheless, be aware that iPods do not work like classic mp3 devices. You'll be able to access the iPod but in order to copy music on it, you'll still have to use iTunes or iTunes alternatives like rePear or Yamipod, on top of NUSB.

Edited by glocK_94

Ok, windows recognised it and it installed a driver from the mass storage driver I mentioned earlier.

What do I do next? as I don't see it listed anywhere in the control panel or list of programs.

Is there something else I need to download in order to make this work?

When it's installed as a mass storage device it should appear as an extra harddisk in explorer.

Nope, no matter how many times it just never shows as a mass storage driver or in the control panel.

What am I doing wrong?

If you have access to a XP or 2k or Vista or Win 7 machine, please get ChipGenius (it's standalone, no install needed, just create a folder and drop the .rar contents there, then run it from there) and post its results on your iPOD. I'm interested specifically on the VID and PID values.

BTW, meanwhile, read also this thread, over on techguy, and this other thread, over on ilounge.

Dear all,

What i did to run my ipod on 98SE

First, one needs to have USB2 : I used a PCI to USB2 card which works perfectly despite what the vendor said to me .....

Second, one needs a Win98 driver for ipod. I have it - Don't know if it is authorised to post in the forum.exe file but i'm sure you should be able to find it over the net

Third one needs a soft to navegate inside the ipod- Itunes doe not run on 98 - I have installed anapod 9.0.1 (not a freeware, 1Mb!!!!!)

Hello from France