[SOLVED] Autounattend.xml - USB-HDD Never unattended

I've slimmed down a sample said to be working x64 working AutoUnattend.xml to simply what's below. I've even tried modifying autorun.inf to open=setup.exe /unattended:AutoUnattended.xml and even this still don't work.

My AutoUnattended.xml (shouldn't be case sensitive right?) is placed in the root directory of my USB harddisk where the follow files/folder resides: boot, efi, sources, support, upgrade, autorun.inf, bootmgr, bootmgr.efi, MediaMeta.xml, setup.exe. Thing is, as soon as it boots off the usb hdd, I arrive at Language to install, English, time currency english.. and you know the rest - the very initial GUI screen of a normal setup. I hope I've explained clear.

So, what exactly am I doing wrong. Believe me, I've tried many AutoUnattend.xml samples, I just thought.. I could slim it down to below since I was having issues and work from there.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<unattend xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:unattend">
<settings pass="windowsPE">
<component name="Microsoft-Windows-International-Core-WinPE" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
<SetupUILanguage>
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
</SetupUILanguage>
<InputLocale>en-US</InputLocale>
<SystemLocale>en-US</SystemLocale>
<UILanguage>en-US</UILanguage>
<UserLocale>en-US</UserLocale>
</component>
<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source="catalog:f:/sources/install_windows 7 ultimate.clg" xmlns:cpi="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:cpi" />
</unattend>

Many thanks!!

Edited by biatche

ok, its definitely autounattend.xml and not autounattended.xml, typos. I did have autorun.inf wrong, but even after fixing the typo in autorun.inf, same stuff. Mind giving me a checklist on preparing an unattended setup? I might have missed out something. Ty

I haven't tried from a usb yet although Virtualbox supports my usb drive finally

Including the xml on root of dvd or usb has been the norm for awhile

something wrong and i cannot even guess what

I've done hundreds of installs off a dvd-rw with xml on my usb and also in a vm with an iso

I haven't tried from a usb yet although Virtualbox supports my usb drive finally

I've done hundreds of installs off a dvd-rw with xml on my usb and also in a vm with an iso

I am having problems with installing from USB, and the first I thought of was the .xml, but if you saying that it isnt that, I will try other things then.

I'm gonna make a screenshot just to be sure all is correct. mkcd2o.jpg

I'm using a USB HDD... not a pendrive. there any implication?

Yes obviously go to

Administrative Tools, and then open Computer Management.

Click Disk Management, then find your external hard drive in the list on the right (in the upper pane).

Right-click the drive and choose Mark Partition as Active. Approve whatever warnings Windows issues.

remember you will need to select usb hdrive when booting.

Edited by urie

I am having problems with installing from USB, and the first I thought of was the .xml, but if you saying that it isnt that, I will try other things then.

Share with me what issues you are having. In the very beginning. I couldn't get it to boot off the USB HDD, but not my pendrive. With the USBHDD, all I got was "_" I think it was a blinking underscore. I had to wipe the USB hdd mbr, mark partition as active, use bootsect and copy the files for everything to be ok. So now that I can boot to USB HDD, i just can't get it unattended. I must say though, it does work when I created the setup using MDT2010.

Bummer. I wonder what my next step should be. Perhaps trying unattended from dvd or usb pendrive.

I had this same problem with my autounattend.xml not being detected/used when installing from (gigabank) usb hdd...to solve this I mounted boot.wim (image #2) and added my autounattend.xml next to mounted setup.exe

99% certain this will fix your problem

Edited by ricktendo64

rick, im gonnna try that. for a couple of days, ive been waiting to catch you on msn to ask you about this. how come i rarely see you on? you on for just very few hours now? hope i can catch you online sometimes. name is irwin if im in your list.

What also sucks is the Win7 USB DVD Download Tool doe not recognize my USB HDD as a valid USB drive, it may think its an external one and this probably would be a solution to fix this autounattend.xml problem...I have to use the old way with diskpart to make mine, but hey, I found a way to make it work so no worries here

Edited by ricktendo64

What also sucks is the Win7 USB DVD Download Tool doe not recognize my USB HDD as a valid USB drive, it may think its an external one and this probably would be a solution to fix this autounattend.xml problem...I have to use the old way with diskpart to make mine, but hey, I found a way to make it work so no worries here

Yes I used Diskpart also now, and I think its working, still need to test tho, but when I go to Computer it looks like the USB is using the Win7 setup.exe icon, which wasnt happening before.

Diskpart explained:

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-...-working-guide/