HFSLIP New Feature Suggestions

mserbin

I thought it might be cool to add a new thread that people could make suggestions for new features/functionality that could be added to HFSLIP in the future.

My idea is to automate the configuration and arranging of the needed update files, addons, and application installers. It would be cool if the program asked you what OS you were slipstreaming, then asked you to put in the disk, copied the source files for you, then gave you a list of updates that were available for that particular OS. The user then would be presented with a checklist that they could select the IE version, and all the updates they wanted to include. The program would then download the updates to the HF or HFCABS folder for the user and start the hfslip.cmd file to simplify the slipstreaming process considerably. The program could accomplish this by having a text file on the internet that listed the most current updates for each OS as well as their download link location on the MS website. The program could then download the updates from MS and place them in the HF or HFCABS folder as needed.

While this sounds rather ambitious, I believe that it is possible. I would be willing to help write the Java code that could handle the network parts. I'm a bit rusty however on the UI part but I have made a few. This would make HFSLIP much more user friendly and eliminate the confusion around which updates were most current and what folder to put them in. I also think it would drastically increase the amount of people that use HFSLIP over other slipstreaming applications.

Edited by mserbin

That sounds cool, but I think it's best that an auto downloader program is a separate entity that can be pre-run before hfslip starts. More code = more possible bugs. At one point in time, jcarle got in touch with me about integrating his WUA with hfslip. I was unable to get his program to work so I left it alone. I think his program is dependant on some IE specific files which I have stripped off my OS because I do not use IE, I only need the IE core. I never persued looking up what files are actually needed for his program to work.

The goal of hfslip is to just be minimalist commandline program, where one does not need to install dotnet framework.

...it's best that an auto downloader program is a separate entity that can be pre-run before hfslip start.
A agree! I would also suggest don't changing HFSLIP in this way. So far HFSLIP is doing its job absolutly fine.

My way to use HFSLIP is to download every patch&update (at least monthly - patch-day) and save it in my download-folders. Than I use my "HFSLIP-front-end" (a batch-file) that I start with params (IE-Version, ...) and it copies all needed files from my download-folders to the HFSLIP-working-directory (I always starting with an empty HFSLIP-folder-structure). After that it starts HFSLIP. This script is also updated monthly (at least).

That would be the reason for me for a separate frontend. :rolleyes:

Mimo

Thats a really manual front end. Why update scripts and download files yourself? Seems like a huge waste of time when it can be automated by a really smart front end that would not change HFSLIP, it would just further automate the process. HFSLIP would be called after all the hotfixs, CAB files, IE files, and WMP files were selected by the GUI front end.

Here's what I do to keep my updates in sync - I keep my setups on a different drive. On patch Tuesday I visit microsoft's current hotfix page, read through the articles that affect my OS and then remove and replace what is required. The total time for me is about 4 minutes to keep things updated. Typically when doing that, I also update the hotfix update page that is in the stickied thread.

Once you have it all down for the first time keeping it up to date doesnt take that long. However, when I first started with HFSLIP, I had to do like 7 test runs before I got all the updates to slip since the XP update page is out of date. That equates to about 4-5 hours to do that many runs to get everything worked out perfectly. For new users, it would be great if there was a tool that could take that 4-5hours out of the learning curve of HFSLIP. I will start working on the tool as well as trying to get another website that you can have some control over so we can keep things updated.

Edited by mserbin