Completely up to date XP SP3 Nlite?

thesambassador

Hi there,

I'm completely new to Nlite and this kind of thing in general. I've used an old Nlite CD created by a previous employee, but it's old and is missing lots and lots of updates (I believe it only has SP3). As a result, when I install it on computers (which I do a lot) it spends lots of time on updates.

I see guides on how to create up-to-date 64bit editions, but the most recent "hotfix pack" that I've seen has been RyanVM's, which only has up to January 2009. Is there a more up-to-date "pack" of hotfixes and updates? If not, we also have Windows Server Update Service, which pushes out new updates to all of our computers... does anybody have any experience with getting the actual hotfixes out of there?

Am I doomed to individually download all of the important hotfixes?

Thanks!

Really? Why do I hear about IT people using it all over the place then? The license does state that it shouldn't be used for "any company or business use," (I work for a health center at a university...) but there's no "business version" of the product, and its use seems widespread. Is it a sort of hush-hush thing? Why is the license like that?

Regardless, I'd still like to be able to use Nlite on my home computer. Can you answer my question now?

Look at it this way. Some dumbass (not you ) Uses nlite to make a disk for a corporation and deploys it on a thousand pc's. Something goes horibbly wrong and either a: the company goes down or b: the company loses critical info on thousands of members to the public or even worse c: the company looses thousands of dollars . All because some joe uses nLite to cut corners or cheat. Now the crap storm comes down on him and who does he redirect it to?

NUHI

Then the company goes after nuhi for the losses and sues the holy crap outta him for making the program. Yes it could be done. Nuhi is actually being very smart in making a FREE program and putting the disclamer in there...

As for breaking the EULA just the simple fact of using a modified uxtheme does break the EULA any time you modify the files in windows you break the all important EULA. We walk a fine line here just like AutoPatcher did some joe from AU called ms and asked about the distribution of it and all of a sudden BLAMO AU is gone. At anytime all of the little projects like 98se SP2 and any of them that distributes MS files or Modified files can be slammed down.

It has been legally looked into very closely and is shown that when you by a copy of windows you don't actually own the software. You are just paying to use it with MS'es permission.

but there's no "business version" of the product, and its use seems widespread. Is it a sort of hush-hush thing? Why is the license like that?

It shouldnt matter what the license says. As a reasonable Administrator why would you

A) use a product that has no formal support channel. Imagine if you will

Boss: "we are having an issue with x"

you: "well I used a free program I downloaded off the magical internet to make those changes. I dont know how it works or what it does, but I laid out the symptoms and as soon as some strangers, with no affiliation to anything, reply to my thread on some random forum that i just joined yesterday, I'll try everything they say until we get it fixed."

Boss: "What does it say in the documentation......"

Which brings us to B:

B ) use a product that is not documented nor has there been a listing of the changes it makes to your install files as you are wandering through the GUI removing features.

...and Im sure the conversation ends poorly.

Edited by iamtheky

Since you know the RVM site you might want to fix your search function:

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6400

Also instead of using nLite why wouldn't you learn to do this stuff yourself? It would make you a much more powerfull IT GUY!

(P.S. the integrator by Siginet, which was designed for the update packs, IS legit for corporate use and makes no extra changes to the disk. Beyond what you can easily track that is...)

(P.S. the integrator by Siginet, which was designed for the update packs, IS legit for corporate use and makes no extra changes to the disk[b/].

Yeah, it does NOT poke in any file it can find (unlike nLite <_< ).